Jerral Wayne Jones, A.K.A. Jerry Jones is an American businessman born on October 13, 1942. Jones is best known as the owner, president, and general manager of the National Football League team Dallas Cowboys, a position he’s been in since 1989. He’s a three-time Super Bowl champion, one of N.F.L.’s Executives of the Year, and a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, as a part of the 2017 class. Jones’ hard work has made the Dallas Cowboys the most valuable sports team. Let’s celebrate this adept businessman’s birthday today in style.
Jerral Wayne Jones, A.K.A. Jerry Jones is an American entrepreneur and businessman who has achieved inspirational wealth and status. He was born on October 13, 1942, in Los Angeles, California. Jones’ family moved to Arkansas in 1945, and he was a running back at North Little Rock High School. After his 1960 graduation, Jones’ parents moved to Springfield, Missouri. He attended the University of Arkansas, where he was co-captain of the 1964 national championship football team. As a college football player, Jones witnessed success. After graduating, he was listed as the executive vice president of his father’s insurance company. The family later sold the company and started an animal safari.
Before purchasing the Dallas Cowboys, Jones opened up a string of Shakey’s Pizza Parlor restaurants in Missouri. However, this venture failed, and he was given a job at the family business. Jones had several unsuccessful gigs before going into oil and gas, which became a hit. In February 1989, Jones purchased the Cowboys from H.R. Bright for $140 million. Jones fired the team’s longtime coach, employing his old college teammate, Jimmy Johnson, as a coach. Jones built the team to success. In 1992, the Cowboys won its first Super Bowl in 15 years in the XXVI edition. The following year, they won the XXVII edition. The team went ahead to win Super Bowl XXX in the 1995 season, even after Johnson’s departure as a coach. Jones has led the Cowboys to unimaginable feats. Their success made Jones a billionaire, and the team is worth over $7 billion. In 1996, Jones had a cameo appearance in an episode of the T.V. show “Coach.” In 2014, Jones became the N.F.L. Executive of the Year, and in 2017, he joined the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
Jones’ personal life is under wraps. He married Eugenia Jones in 1963 and has three biological children and several grandchildren, whom he adores.
Jones buys the Dallas Cowboys from H.R. Bright.
After 15 years, the Dallas team becomes the Super Bowl XXVI champion.
Jones wins the N.F.L. Executive of the Year title.
The Cowboys become the number one sports team.
The league inducts Jones into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
Why We Love Jerry Jones
Jones recognized the potential of the Dallas Cowboys when he purchased it. His unrelenting drive secured him the billions he’s worth today.
He didn’t give up
Jones had several failed businesses before going into oil and gas or purchasing the Dallas Cowboys. He didn’t let his failures deter him from his purpose.
Jones’ story is inspirational. He has achieved his goals and is still going!
5 Surprising Facts
He is a certified entrepreneur
Jones obtained a master’s degree in business in 1970.
He’s been fined
Jones has been fined for publicly criticizing an N.F.L. referee and violating the gag order on labor issues.
He was in a commercial
In 2013, Jones appeared in a Pepsi commercial.
He had a major surgery
Jones revealed he had undergone hip replacement surgery.
His daughter sued him
In 2022, Jones received legal action from an estranged daughter.
Jerry Jones FAQs
How much percent of the Cowboys does Jerry Jones own?
Jones and his wife own 51%, while their three adult children share the other 49%.
How much did Jerry Jones pay for his yacht?
He paid $250 million.
Who paid for the Dallas Cowboys' new stadium?
Mostly the City of Arlington, but Jones contributed by covering overruns.
Jerry Jones’s birthday dates