Kate Spade

Kate Spade was born Katherine Noel Valentine Brosnahan Spade, on December 24, 1962. She was an American fashion designer and entrepreneur, best known as the founder and co-owner of the Kate Spade New York designer brand. From an early age, Spade showed an interest in fashion and writing, and she developed a special taste for all fields as her career took off. Working as a fashion editor, designer, and later author of related literature, she stormed the world with her seductive style and business acumen. Today she is considered a talented visionary, and we take pleasure in celebrating her feats with you on her special day!

Fast Facts

Full Name:

Katherine Noel Valentine Brosnahan Spade


Kate, Kate Valentine

Birth date:

December 24, 1962

Death date:

June 5, 2018 (age 55)

Zodiac Sign:



5' 5"

Net Worth:

$200 million

Katherine's Social Media:


Katherine Noel Valentine Brosnahan Spade was an American fashion designer whose talents set her apart. She was born in Kansas City, Missouri, and was of Irish descent. Spade attended Arizona State University, where she graduated with a degree in Journalism in 1985.

In 1986, Spade worked in the accessories department at “Mademoiselle” magazine, and left her post as Senior Fashion Editor in 1991 to create her own brand. She and her former boyfriend, Andy Spade, founded Kate Spade New York, in January 1993; as an accessory brand, it became very popular in the ‘90s, and many owned a Kate Spade handbag. Soon, it expanded from exclusively selling handbags to clothing, jewelry, shoes, eyewear, fragrances, and stationery. By 1996, Spade opened her first boutique in Manhattan’s SoHo district, later branching out to Kate Spade Saturday, which carried more casual apparel, and Jack Spade, a menswear line. Both ventures were discontinued in 2015. In 1999, Spade sold 56% of her company’s stake to Neiman Marcus Group, which took the business to global reach. In 2004, a home collection brand called Kate Spade At Home was launched, as well as a store in Japan. In 2006, Spade sold the remaining 44% of her company to Neiman Marcus, which later sold the label to Liz Claiborne Inc. before it was finally purchased by Coach, Inc.

Spade took some time off to cater to her family, but in 2016 she launched Frances Valentine, a luxury footwear and handbag brand. A successful design mogul, Spade shared the perks of her success with friends and family. She lived a private life and married Andy Spade in 1994. The couple had a daughter in 2005. On June 5, 2018, Spade was found dead in her apartment, having committed suicide. She is remembered by her husband, daughter, and many friends.

Career timeline

She Works at “Mademoiselle Magazine”

Spade finds a job in the accessories department at “Mademoiselle” magazine.

Kate Spade New York

Spade and her husband launch the company Kate Spade New York.

Her Store Opening

The Kate Spade brand opens its first boutique in Manhattan’s SoHo district.

She Brings out Kate Spade At Home’

Spade launches the home collection brand.

The Launching of Frances Valentine

Spade creates her new luxury handbag and footwear brand.

Why We Love Kate Spade

  1. She was a visionary

    Spade aimed to fill a gap in the market by creating bags and accessories with fresh designs. Her items became known and loved for their distinct features.

  2. Her death created awareness

    Upon her death, it was revealed that Spade had suffered anxiety and depression. Her death by suicide sparked awareness of mental health.

  3. She was talented

    Spade was a highly talented designer. Her pieces were owned by millions worldwide.

5 Surprising Facts

  1. She met her husband while working

    While in college, Spade worked at Carter’s Men Shop in Phoenix, where she met her husband, her co-worker at the time.

  2. Her husband contributed his pension

    To support their business, Andy withdrew his 401(k) pension plan to pay employees.

  3. She was an author

    Spade published three different books on etiquette, entertainment, and fashion.

  4. David Spade was her brother-in-law

    Spade’s husband and the comedian are brothers.

  5. She was living apart from her husband

    A few months before her death, Spade and her husband were no longer living together.

Kate Spade FAQs

Who owns Kate Spade now?

The brand is owned by Tapestry, Inc.

How long did Kate Spade battle depression?

According to her husband, Spade suffered from anxiety and depression for over five years.

What age group is Kate Spade for?

The brand’s clothes and accessories are aimed at women between 25 and 44 years of age.

Kate Spade’s birthday dates

2024December 24Tuesday
2025December 24Wednesday
2026December 24Thursday
2027December 24Friday
2028December 24Sunday

Holidays Straight to Your Inbox

Every day is a holiday!
Receive fresh holidays directly to your inbox.