Mexican Father of 3 U.S. Marines Avoids Deportation

Federal judge terminates case against Narciso Barranco after viral arrest video sparks outrage

Published on Feb. 12, 2026

A federal immigration judge has ended the deportation case against Narciso Barranco, a Mexican father of three U.S. Marines, whose arrest on video showing masked federal agents pinning him down and punching him outside an IHOP in Southern California went viral last year. Barranco's family said he ran away because he was afraid and no charges were ever filed against him, but an effort to remove him from the country was started. After a virtual hearing, the judge terminated Barranco's case, clearing the way for him to settle his legal status.

Why it matters

The case highlights the challenges faced by undocumented immigrants with U.S. citizen family members, as well as concerns over the use of force by federal immigration agents. Barranco's arrest and the subsequent viral video sparked outrage and renewed scrutiny of immigration enforcement tactics.

The details

Narciso Barranco, a Mexican national, was arrested by Border Patrol agents on June 21 while working as a landscaper outside an IHOP in Santa Ana, California. The arrest was caught on video that was shared on social media, showing masked federal agents pinning Barranco down and punching him. Barranco's family said he ran away because he was afraid and no charges were ever filed against him, but an effort to remove him from the country was started. During a virtual hearing on January 28, a federal immigration judge terminated Barranco's deportation case, clearing the way for him to settle his legal status.

  • Barranco was arrested by Border Patrol agents on June 21.
  • The arrest video went viral on social media shortly after the incident.
  • Barranco's deportation case was terminated by a federal immigration judge on January 28.

The players

Narciso Barranco

A Mexican national and father of three U.S. Marines who was arrested by Border Patrol agents in June 2025 and faced deportation, but had his case terminated by a federal immigration judge in January 2026.

Rigo Hernandez

Barranco's 44-year-old stepson who said the judge terminated his stepfather's deportation case during a virtual hearing on January 28.

Alejandro Barranco

Narciso Barranco's eldest son, a Marine veteran, who spoke to the media about his father's arrest, saying he had been pepper-sprayed and his shoulder had been dislocated.

Department of Homeland Security

The federal agency that arrested Narciso Barranco and initially accused him of assaulting federal law enforcement with a weed whacker, though no charges were ever filed.

Got photos? Submit your photos here. ›

What they’re saying

“It was nerve-racking.”

— Rigo Hernandez, Barranco's stepson (Los Angeles Times)

“Once the judge said, 'I'm compelled to agree with the defendant's attorney,' there was a sigh of relief.”

— Rigo Hernandez, Barranco's stepson (Los Angeles Times)

What’s next

Barranco still needs to settle his legal status, but the termination of his deportation case clears the way for him to apply for a work visa through a federal program that allows undocumented spouses, children and stepchildren of U.S. citizens or military personnel to temporarily remain in the country.

The takeaway

This case highlights the challenges faced by undocumented immigrants with U.S. citizen family members, as well as concerns over the use of force by federal immigration agents. The termination of Barranco's deportation case is a victory for his family, but his legal status remains uncertain as he works to secure permanent residency.