Ex-Dodgers Star Manny Machado Defends Team Amid Spending Criticism with NSFW Comments

Machado claimed he loves what the Dodgers are doing and said all teams should try to replicate their spending strategy.

Published on Feb. 16, 2026

San Diego Padres star Manny Machado came to the defense of the Los Angeles Dodgers' spending this offseason, dropping some NSFW comments in support of the team's aggressive moves. Machado said he "f**king loves" what the Dodgers are doing and believes all other teams should try to replicate their approach. The Dodgers have made several high-profile signings this winter, including relief pitcher Edwin Diaz and outfielder Kyle Tucker, drawing criticism from some for their lavish spending.

Why it matters

The Dodgers' spending spree has sparked debate around the league, with some owners reportedly "raging" over the team's ability to sign top free agents. Machado's comments add another high-profile voice in support of the Dodgers' strategy, which has helped them win back-to-back World Series titles. The dispute over the Dodgers' spending could foreshadow a larger battle over a potential salary cap in the next MLB Collective Bargaining Agreement negotiations.

The details

The Dodgers signed Diaz to a 3-year, $69 million deal after he opted out of his contract with the New York Mets. They then landed Tucker on a 4-year, $240 million contract, the second-highest AAV deal in MLB history. Many were critical of the Dodgers' ability to outbid other teams for top free agents like Tucker, who reportedly had a $220 million offer from the Mets. Machado, who previously played for the Dodgers, said he "loves" what the team is doing and believes all other teams should try to replicate their approach.

  • On Sunday, Manny Machado was asked about the Dodgers' spending spree.
  • The Dodgers signed Edwin Diaz in December 2025.
  • The Dodgers signed Kyle Tucker in January 2026.

The players

Manny Machado

A star third baseman for the San Diego Padres who previously played for the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Edwin Diaz

A 3-time All-Star relief pitcher who signed a 3-year, $69 million contract with the Dodgers after opting out of his deal with the New York Mets.

Kyle Tucker

An outfielder who signed a 4-year, $240 million contract with the Dodgers, the second-highest AAV deal in MLB history.

Bryce Harper

An 8-time MLB All-Star who plays for the Philadelphia Phillies and has also expressed support for the Dodgers' spending strategy.

Dave Roberts

The manager of the Los Angeles Dodgers, who have won back-to-back World Series titles.

Got photos? Submit your photos here. ›

What they’re saying

“I f**king love it. I love it. I mean, honestly, I think every team should be doing it. They've figured out a way to do it, and s**t is f**king great for the game.”

— Manny Machado (Marty Caswell)

“I love what the Dodgers do, obviously. I mean, they pay the money, they spend the money. They're a great team, they run their team like a business. They run it the right way... It bothers me when everybody talks about the Dodgers spending money. No. They draft, they develop, they do it the right way. They understand what it takes to be the best team in baseball.”

— Bryce Harper (Devan Kaney)

What’s next

The MLB owners are expected to push for a salary cap once the current Collective Bargaining Agreement expires in December 2026, in part due to their frustration over the Dodgers' spending.

The takeaway

The Dodgers' aggressive spending strategy, which has helped them win back-to-back World Series titles, has sparked debate around the league. While some owners are critical of the team's ability to outbid others for top free agents, high-profile players like Manny Machado and Bryce Harper have come out in support of the Dodgers' approach, arguing that it is good for the game and that other teams should try to emulate it.