Celtics Star Jaylen Brown Disputes Beverly Hills' Explanation for Event Shutdown

Brown says hundreds of thousands of dollars were wasted after police shut down his brand event, calling the city's statement "completely false"

Published on Feb. 16, 2026

Boston Celtics star Jaylen Brown disputed the City of Beverly Hills' explanation for shutting down his brand event on Saturday night, saying the city's statement that the event lacked a permit was "completely false." Brown said the event was hosted at the private residence of Oakley founder Jim Jannard, who had opened up his home for the event, so no permit was needed. Brown said hundreds of thousands of dollars were wasted due to the shutdown, which he felt was unfairly targeted at his event while other activations in the area faced no issues.

Why it matters

This incident highlights tensions between celebrities/influencers and local authorities over event permitting and enforcement, especially during high-profile events like NBA All-Star weekend. It raises questions about whether Brown's event was singled out unfairly, potentially due to racial bias, and whether the city's explanation for the shutdown was accurate.

The details

According to Brown, the event was hosted at Jannard's private residence, so no permit was required. However, the City of Beverly Hills claimed in a statement that a permit had been applied for and denied due to previous violations at the address. Brown disputed this, saying the city's statement was "completely false" and that hundreds of thousands of dollars were wasted due to the shutdown. Brown felt his event was unfairly targeted compared to other activations happening in the area during All-Star weekend.

  • The event was shut down by Beverly Hills police on Saturday, February 14, 2026 at around 7pm.

The players

Jaylen Brown

A star player for the Boston Celtics who was hosting a brand event in Beverly Hills during NBA All-Star weekend.

Jim Jannard

The founder of Oakley, who opened up his private residence in Beverly Hills to host Brown's event.

City of Beverly Hills

The local government that claimed Brown's event lacked a required permit and shut it down, an explanation Brown disputed.

Got photos? Submit your photos here. ›

What they’re saying

“I'm offended by Beverly Hills by the statement they put out, like we applied for something and didn't get it, and we did it anyway [and] we were insubordinate. I know how to follow the rules. I'm smart enough to follow the guidelines. It just seemed like somebody didn't want whatever we had going on to go on because out of everybody that was doing something, it seemed like I was the only one that gets shut down.”

— Jaylen Brown (ESPN)

“That was not true. We didn't need a permit because the owner of the house, that was his space. We were family friends. He opened up the festivities to us so we didn't have to. We never applied for one. ... I didn't have to pay for the house or anything. They just opened it up. I had to pay for the build out, but it was hundreds of thousands of dollars wasted for an event that was supposed to be positive.”

— Jaylen Brown (ESPN)

What’s next

The owner of the private residence, Jim Jannard, is considering filing a lawsuit against the City of Beverly Hills over the shutdown of the event.

The takeaway

This incident raises concerns about potential racial bias in how local authorities enforce event permitting rules, especially during high-profile events. It also highlights the challenges celebrities and influencers can face when trying to host brand activations, even on private property, and the financial impact when those events are unexpectedly shut down.