- Today
- Holidays
- Birthdays
- Reminders
- Cities
- Atlanta
- Austin
- Baltimore
- Berwyn
- Beverly Hills
- Birmingham
- Boston
- Brooklyn
- Buffalo
- Charlotte
- Chicago
- Cincinnati
- Cleveland
- Columbus
- Dallas
- Denver
- Detroit
- Fort Worth
- Houston
- Indianapolis
- Knoxville
- Las Vegas
- Los Angeles
- Louisville
- Madison
- Memphis
- Miami
- Milwaukee
- Minneapolis
- Nashville
- New Orleans
- New York
- Omaha
- Orlando
- Philadelphia
- Phoenix
- Pittsburgh
- Portland
- Raleigh
- Richmond
- Rutherford
- Sacramento
- Salt Lake City
- San Antonio
- San Diego
- San Francisco
- San Jose
- Seattle
- Tampa
- Tucson
- Washington
Pitino Unfazed by Booster's Contract Suggestion for St. John's
Billionaire Mike Repole wants university to 'rip up' coach's deal, but Pitino focused on season
Published on Feb. 14, 2026
Got story updates? Submit your updates here. ›
Rick Pitino, the head coach of the St. John's men's basketball team, is aware that billionaire booster Mike Repole has suggested the university 'rip up' the three years remaining on Pitino's contract and give him a better deal. However, Pitino says he is not focused on his contract and is instead concentrating on the current season, in which St. John's is 19-5 and leading the Big East.
Why it matters
Pitino's contract situation has become a topic of discussion due to St. John's recent success under his leadership. The team won its first outright Big East regular season championship since 1985 and its first conference tournament title since 2000 last year, and Pitino was named Naismith Coach of the Year. Repole believes Pitino's current contract is 'embarrassing' compared to other Big East coaches, and wants the university to keep the 73-year-old coach as long as he wants to stay.
The details
Pitino is in the third season of a six-year contract he signed when he was hired by St. John's in 2022. He said the university spoke with his agent on Wednesday but that he has not been involved in any contract talks. Going into Saturday's game at Providence, No. 17 St. John's is 12-1 in Big East play and has won 10 games in a row. Monday's overtime victory over Xavier was the 904th win in Pitino's career, moving him past Roy Williams for third place among NCAA coaches.
- Pitino signed a six-year contract with St. John's in 2022.
- St. John's spoke with Pitino's agent on Wednesday regarding his contract.
The players
Rick Pitino
The 73-year-old head coach of the St. John's men's basketball team, who is in the third season of a six-year contract he signed in 2022.
Mike Repole
A billionaire booster of the St. John's basketball program who has suggested the university 'rip up' Pitino's current contract and give him a better deal.
Bryce Hopkins
A forward who transferred from Providence to St. John's last offseason and is set to face his former team on Saturday.
Kadary Richmond
A former St. John's player who made his NBA debut this week for the Washington Wizards after going undrafted.
What they’re saying
“I'm not making any plans to move anywhere or do anything, so if it happens, it happens. If it doesn't happen, it's not a big deal.”
— Rick Pitino, Head Coach, St. John's (New York Daily News)
“He's at the lower half of the Big East [coach salaries]. What was a decent contract maybe three years ago is an embarrassing contract today.”
— Mike Repole, Billionaire Booster, St. John's (Eye of the Storm Podcast)
“We're playing for a Big East championship, and Providence is the next game up on our schedule. We have to be locked in to the fullest and prepare at the highest level for that.”
— Bryce Hopkins, Forward, St. John's (New York Daily News)
What’s next
The judge in the case will decide on Tuesday whether or not to allow Walker Reed Quinn out on bail.
The takeaway
This case highlights growing concerns in the community about repeat offenders released on bail, raising questions about bail reform, public safety on SF streets, and if any special laws to govern autonomous vehicles in residential and commercial areas.
Cleveland top stories
Cleveland events
Feb. 18, 2026
Suffs (Touring)Feb. 19, 2026
Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Brooklyn NetsFeb. 20, 2026
Cleveland Monsters vs. Toronto Marlies




