Bengals Facing Trey Hendrickson Contract Dispute, Colts Poised to Pursue All-Pro

Cincinnati may franchise tag Hendrickson or look to trade him to Indianapolis, where he could reunite with former Bengals coaches.

Published on Feb. 15, 2026

The Cincinnati Bengals and star defensive end Trey Hendrickson are reportedly facing a contentious contract dispute, with a Bengals source indicating it's unlikely Hendrickson will return to the team next season. The Indianapolis Colts are seen as a potential landing spot for Hendrickson, as he would reunite with former Bengals coaches Lou Anarumo and Marion Hobby, who are now with the Colts.

Why it matters

Hendrickson has been a key part of the Bengals' defense since joining the team in 2021, making the Pro Bowl twice. His potential departure would be a significant loss for Cincinnati, but the Colts would gain a premier pass rusher if they are able to sign him in free agency or acquire him via trade.

The details

According to NFL Network's Cameron Wolfe, a Bengals team source said the relationship between the team and Hendrickson has been "difficult" in recent weeks, making it unlikely he will return. The Colts are viewed as a potential suitor, as Hendrickson would reunite with Anarumo, the Colts' defensive coordinator, and Hobby, the team's new defensive line coach. The two coaches worked with Hendrickson during his time in Cincinnati, when the trio combined for 57 sacks and four Pro Bowl selections.

  • Bengals director of player personnel Duke Tobin noted last month that Hendrickson's contract negotiations have been "contentious".

The players

Trey Hendrickson

A two-time Pro Bowl defensive end who has been a key part of the Bengals' defense since joining the team in 2021.

Lou Anarumo

The Indianapolis Colts' defensive coordinator, who previously worked with Hendrickson on the Bengals' coaching staff.

Marion Hobby

The Indianapolis Colts' new defensive line coach, who also worked with Hendrickson during his time with the Bengals.

Duke Tobin

The Bengals' director of player personnel, who acknowledged the "contentious" nature of the team's contract negotiations with Hendrickson.

Cameron Wolfe

The NFL Network reporter who provided the details on the Bengals' contract dispute with Hendrickson and the Colts' potential interest in the pass rusher.

Got photos? Submit your photos here. ›

What they’re saying

“A source told me he figures it's unlikely for these two sides to reunite going into next season. A difficult decision for Cincy, because their relationship has not been great in recent weeks, and I'm told that if this deal does end up happening (with another team), free agency-wise, keep an eye on the Indianapolis Colts.”

— Cameron Wolfe, NFL Network reporter (NFL Network)

“That one was contentious. There are a lot of contentious deals. We're not on an island by ourselves in that kind of stuff. That's the way of the world. We have to place a value on a player. They'll place their own value on themselves. We have to come to something that makes sense for both.”

— Duke Tobin, Bengals director of player personnel (Cincinnati Bengals)

What’s next

The Bengals will have to decide whether to franchise tag Hendrickson for over $30 million or look to trade him to the Colts or another interested team. Letting him walk in free agency would be the worst-case scenario for Cincinnati.

The takeaway

This contract dispute highlights the challenges teams face in retaining star players, especially when there are strong connections to other organizations. The Bengals must weigh the value Hendrickson brings to their defense against the cost to keep him, while the Colts see an opportunity to add a premier pass rusher who would fit well in their system.