Democratic-led States Sue to Stop Trump from Withholding $600M in Health Grants

California, Colorado, Illinois, and Minnesota file lawsuit over planned funding cuts to public health programs.

Published on Feb. 12, 2026

Four Democratic-led states - California, Colorado, Illinois, and Minnesota - have filed a lawsuit to block the Trump administration from cutting off hundreds of millions in public health grants. The Department of Health and Human Services told Congress it plans to withhold about $600 million in grant funding allocated to these states, which the states argue is retaliation for their opposition to Trump's immigration policies. The lawsuit claims the cuts violate the Constitution by imposing retroactive conditions on the funding.

Why it matters

The planned funding cuts would impact a range of public health programs in these states, including efforts to prevent the spread of HIV and other sexually transmitted infections, as well as disease outbreak tracking and data collection. The states argue these cuts will 'irreparably harm' public health in their communities.

The details

The administration plans to pull hundreds of millions in transportation funding from the same four states in addition to the health grant cuts. Several of the largest planned health funding cuts are to programs aimed at preventing the spread of HIV and other sexually transmitted infections in Chicago and Los Angeles, with a focus on adolescents, ethnic minorities and gay men. The administration is also targeting a $7.2 million grant for the Chicago-based American Medical Association due to its support for gender-affirming care for minors.

  • On Monday, the Department of Health and Human Services told Congress it planned to withhold about $600 million in grant funding.
  • The lawsuit was filed on Wednesday by the four Democratic-led states.

The players

California

One of the four Democratic-led states suing the Trump administration over the planned funding cuts, which Attorney General Rob Bonta said will 'irreparably harm' public health in the state.

Colorado

One of the four Democratic-led states suing the Trump administration over the planned funding cuts.

Illinois

One of the four Democratic-led states suing the Trump administration over the planned funding cuts. Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker called the funding cuts 'a slap in the face' to public health leaders.

Minnesota

One of the four Democratic-led states suing the Trump administration over the planned funding cuts.

Donald Trump

The President of the United States whose administration plans to withhold about $600 million in grant funding from the four Democratic-led states.

Got photos? Submit your photos here. ›

What they’re saying

“President Trump is resorting to a familiar playbook. He is using federal funding to compel states and jurisdictions to follow his agenda.”

— Rob Bonta, California Attorney General (Capitol City Now)

“Those efforts have all previously failed, and we expect that to happen once again.”

— Rob Bonta, California Attorney General (Capitol City Now)

“The funding cuts are 'a slap in the face' to public health leaders who have stepped up as the Trump administration 'takes a sledgehammer to public health infrastructure.'”

— JB Pritzker, Illinois Governor (Capitol City Now)

What’s next

A federal court in Illinois will hear the lawsuit filed by the four Democratic-led states to block the Trump administration from cutting off the $600 million in public health grants.

The takeaway

This lawsuit highlights the ongoing political tensions between Democratic-led states and the Trump administration, with the states accusing the president of using federal funding to force compliance with his agenda. The outcome of this case could have significant implications for public health programs in these states if the funding cuts are allowed to proceed.