- Today
- Holidays
- Birthdays
- Reminders
- Cities
- Atlanta
- Austin
- Baltimore
- Berwyn
- Beverly Hills
- Birmingham
- Boston
- Brooklyn
- Buffalo
- Charlotte
- Chicago
- Cincinnati
- Cleveland
- Columbus
- Dallas
- Denver
- Detroit
- Fort Worth
- Houston
- Indianapolis
- Knoxville
- Las Vegas
- Los Angeles
- Louisville
- Madison
- Memphis
- Miami
- Milwaukee
- Minneapolis
- Nashville
- New Orleans
- New York
- Omaha
- Orlando
- Philadelphia
- Phoenix
- Pittsburgh
- Portland
- Raleigh
- Richmond
- Rutherford
- Sacramento
- Salt Lake City
- San Antonio
- San Diego
- San Francisco
- San Jose
- Seattle
- Tampa
- Tucson
- Washington
Democratic-led States Sue to Stop Trump from Withholding $600M in Health Grants
Lawsuit alleges cuts are retaliation for states' opposition to Trump's immigration policies
Published on Feb. 12, 2026
Got story updates? Submit your updates here. ›
Four Democratic-led states - California, Colorado, Illinois, and Minnesota - have filed a lawsuit to block the Trump administration from cutting off hundreds of millions in public health grants. The states argue the cuts violate the Constitution and are retaliation for their opposition to Trump's immigration crackdown. The grants fund programs focused on LGBTQ+ people, communities of color, and preventing the spread of HIV and other sexually transmitted infections.
Why it matters
The funding cuts target public health programs that serve vulnerable populations, potentially undermining efforts to address health disparities and respond to disease outbreaks. The lawsuit is the latest clash between Democratic-led states and the Trump administration over federal funding and policy priorities.
The details
The Department of Health and Human Services notified Congress on Monday that it plans to withhold about $600 million in grant funding from the four states. The lawsuit alleges the cuts violate the Constitution by imposing retroactive conditions on the funding. Health officials have said the grants, some of which are focused on LGBTQ+ people and communities of color, are 'inconsistent with agency priorities' as the administration has shifted away from supporting programs for specific populations. The administration is also targeting a $7.2 million grant for the American Medical Association due to its support for gender-affirming care for minors.
- The funding cuts could take effect as soon as Thursday, with others following in the coming weeks.
- A judge last week temporarily blocked the administration from cutting off billions in child care subsidies and other social service programs for lower-income people in the four states plus New York.
The players
California
One of the four Democratic-led states suing the Trump administration to block the funding cuts, which Attorney General Rob Bonta said will 'irreparably harm' public health in the state.
Colorado
One of the four Democratic-led states suing the Trump administration to block the funding cuts.
Illinois
One of the four Democratic-led states suing the Trump administration to block the funding cuts. Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker called the funding cuts 'a slap in the face' to public health leaders.
Minnesota
One of the four Democratic-led states suing the Trump administration to block the funding cuts.
Department of Health and Human Services
The federal agency that notified Congress of the planned $600 million in grant funding cuts to the four states.
What they’re saying
“President Trump is resorting to a familiar playbook. He is using federal funding to compel states and jurisdictions to follow his agenda.”
— Rob Bonta, California Attorney General (ksgf.com)
“Those efforts have all previously failed, and we expect that to happen once again.”
— Rob Bonta, California Attorney General (ksgf.com)
“The funding cuts are 'a slap in the face' to public health leaders who have stepped up as the Trump administration 'takes a sledgehammer to public health infrastructure.'”
— JB Pritzker, Illinois Governor (ksgf.com)
What’s next
A federal court in Illinois will consider the states' request to block the funding cuts from taking effect.
The takeaway
This lawsuit highlights the ongoing tensions between Democratic-led states and the Trump administration over federal funding and policy priorities, particularly when it comes to public health programs serving vulnerable populations. The outcome could set an important precedent for how the federal government can condition or withhold grants from states that oppose its agenda.





