Trump Administration Plans to Withhold Grants from Democratic-Led States

Funds for public health, transportation, and other programs targeted in latest political move

Published on Feb. 10, 2026

The Trump administration is planning to withhold over $1.5 billion in federal grants from a group of Democratic-led states, including California, Colorado, Illinois, and Minnesota. The administration cited concerns over fraud and mismanagement, but has not provided evidence beyond remarks from Trump and his officials. The targeted funds cover a range of programs, from electric vehicle chargers to research on LGBTQ health, leading the affected states to accuse the administration of politicizing and punishing them.

Why it matters

This latest move is part of a broader pattern of the Trump administration attempting to restrict federal funding to states and cities led by Democrats. The administration has previously targeted child care subsidies, food aid, and sanctuary city policies in these states. Critics argue the cuts are politically motivated and could harm vulnerable populations who rely on the affected programs.

The details

The Office of Management and Budget has instructed the Department of Transportation and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to cancel over $1.5 billion in grants to the four Democratic-led states. The targeted funds cover a range of initiatives, including money for electric vehicle chargers, translating commercial driver's license tests into Spanish, climate change adaptation, and research on the health of LGBTQ adults and populations disproportionately affected by sexually transmitted infections. A $7.2 million grant to the American Medical Association, which supports gender-affirming care for minors, was also on the list.

  • On February 10, 2026, the Trump administration announced plans to withhold the federal grants.

The players

Donald Trump

The former president whose administration is planning the grant cuts.

JB Pritzker

The Democratic governor of Illinois, who criticized the administration's move as wrong and often illegal.

Office of Management and Budget

The federal agency that has instructed other agencies to cancel the grants to the Democratic-led states.

U.S. Department of Transportation

The federal agency that is being told to cancel transportation-related grants.

U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

The federal agency that is being told to cancel health-related grants.

Got photos? Submit your photos here. ›

What they’re saying

“Time and time again, the Trump Administration has attempted to politicize and punish certain states President Trump does not like. It's wrong and often illegal, so Illinois will always fight for the resources and services our taxpayers are owed.”

— Jillian Kaehler, Spokesperson for Illinois Governor JB Pritzker (ksgf.com)

What’s next

The affected states are expected to challenge the grant cuts in court, as they have done with previous attempts by the Trump administration to restrict federal funding to Democratic-led states and cities.

The takeaway

This latest move by the Trump administration to withhold federal grants from Democratic-led states is seen as a continuation of its efforts to punish political opponents. The cuts could have significant impacts on vulnerable populations who rely on the affected programs, leading the states to vow legal action to protect the funding their taxpayers are owed.