- Today
- Holidays
- Birthdays
- Reminders
- Cities
- Atlanta
- Austin
- Baltimore
- Berwyn
- Beverly Hills
- Birmingham
- Boston
- Brooklyn
- Buffalo
- Charlotte
- Chicago
- Cincinnati
- Cleveland
- Columbus
- Dallas
- Denver
- Detroit
- Fort Worth
- Houston
- Indianapolis
- Knoxville
- Las Vegas
- Los Angeles
- Louisville
- Madison
- Memphis
- Miami
- Milwaukee
- Minneapolis
- Nashville
- New Orleans
- New York
- Omaha
- Orlando
- Philadelphia
- Phoenix
- Pittsburgh
- Portland
- Raleigh
- Richmond
- Rutherford
- Sacramento
- Salt Lake City
- San Antonio
- San Diego
- San Francisco
- San Jose
- Seattle
- Tampa
- Tucson
- Washington
Red Sox Infielder Doubles Down On Jab After Yankees Response
Isiah Kiner-Falefa's comments about the Blue Jays fearing the Red Sox more than the Yankees have sparked a back-and-forth.
Published on Feb. 21, 2026
Got story updates? Submit your updates here. ›
Former New York Yankees infielder Isiah Kiner-Falefa, who now plays for the Boston Red Sox, made comments suggesting the Toronto Blue Jays were more afraid of facing the Red Sox than the Yankees last season. Yankees manager Aaron Boone responded to the comments, saying they were "little surprising" but "whatever." Kiner-Falefa has since doubled down on his stance, explaining the context behind his original remarks.
Why it matters
The comments from Kiner-Falefa have reignited the rivalry between the Yankees, Red Sox, and Blue Jays, three of the top teams in the American League East. The back-and-forth between Kiner-Falefa and Boone also highlights the competitive nature of the division and the high stakes involved for these teams.
The details
Kiner-Falefa, who played for the Blue Jays and Yankees last year, said the Blue Jays were "glad the Red Sox lost in the playoffs" because they thought the Yankees were an easier matchup. Boone responded by saying Kiner-Falefa's comments were "little surprising" but that "you got to play who you play." Kiner-Falefa has since doubled down, explaining that the context was that Red Sox pitcher Garrett Crochet had pitched well against the Blue Jays' offense, which is why they may have preferred facing the Yankees.
- Kiner-Falefa made the initial comments after joining the Red Sox on a new contract in the offseason.
- Boone responded to the comments in February 2023.
The players
Isiah Kiner-Falefa
A veteran utility player who has played for the Toronto Blue Jays, New York Yankees, and is now with the Boston Red Sox.
Aaron Boone
The manager of the New York Yankees.
Garrett Crochet
A pitcher for the Boston Red Sox.
What they’re saying
“Isiah Kiner-Falefa said the Blue Jays were glad the Red Sox lost in the playoffs last year because they thought the Yankees were an easier matchup.”
— Isiah Kiner-Falefa (The Boston Globe)
“Little surprising to hear IKF say that, but whatever. That's fine. You got to play who you play. Whatever.”
— Aaron Boone, New York Yankees Manager (New York Post)
“The context was Crochet had pitched eight innings against us and (the Blue Jays) offense can't be stopped... Crochet went eight innings and was the only guy who really was able to shut our team down.”
— Isiah Kiner-Falefa (Baseball Isn't Boring Podcast)
What’s next
The rivalry between the Yankees, Red Sox, and Blue Jays is expected to continue heating up as the 2023 MLB season approaches. Fans will be watching to see if Kiner-Falefa's comments have any impact on the teams' matchups.
The takeaway
The back-and-forth between Kiner-Falefa and Boone highlights the intense rivalry between the Yankees, Red Sox, and Blue Jays, three of the top teams in the American League East. The comments have reignited the competition between these teams and will likely add extra drama to their future matchups.
Tampa top stories
Tampa events
Feb. 22, 2026
New York Yankees v. New York MetsFeb. 22, 2026
New York Yankees v. New York Mets *Pinstripe Pass*Feb. 22, 2026
Steinway Piano Series: Ruuka Ogihara




