Pope Leo Declines Trump's Board of Peace Offer

Vatican says international crisis management should be handled by the UN, not a U.S.-led body.

Published on Feb. 21, 2026

The Vatican has declined to take part in President Donald Trump's Board of Peace, with its top diplomat Cardinal Pietro Parolin stating that international crisis management should be handled by the United Nations rather than a U.S.-led body. The decision comes despite an invitation extended to Pope Leo XIV, the first U.S.-born pontiff and a critic of some Trump policies, as the board prepares to hold its first meeting in Washington to discuss Gaza's reconstruction.

Why it matters

Trump's Board of Peace initiative has drawn limited international backing so far, with key Western allies also declining to join. The Vatican's refusal to participate is a setback for the U.S. president's efforts to position himself as a global peacemaker.

The details

Cardinal Pietro Parolin, the Holy See's secretary of state, told reporters that the Vatican would not participate in Trump's Board of Peace, which the U.S. president has said would oversee Gaza's temporary governance and potentially expand to address other global conflicts. The decision comes despite an invitation extended to Pope Leo XIV, who has been critical of some of Trump's policies.

  • The Vatican declined to join the Board of Peace on Tuesday.
  • The Board of Peace is preparing to hold its first meeting in Washington.

The players

Donald Trump

The President of the United States who has proposed the Board of Peace initiative.

Cardinal Pietro Parolin

The Holy See's secretary of state who announced the Vatican's decision not to participate in the Board of Peace.

Pope Leo XIV

The first U.S.-born pontiff who was invited to join the Board of Peace but has been critical of some of Trump's policies.

Got photos? Submit your photos here. ›

What they’re saying

“International crisis management should be handled by the United Nations rather than a U.S.-led body.”

— Cardinal Pietro Parolin, Holy See's Secretary of State (Newsweek)

What’s next

The Board of Peace is still preparing to hold its first meeting in Washington to discuss Gaza's reconstruction, despite the lack of Vatican participation.

The takeaway

The Vatican's refusal to join Trump's Board of Peace initiative is a setback for the U.S. president's efforts to position himself as a global peacemaker, as the proposal continues to draw limited international backing.