Trump Administration Accuses China of Secret 2020 Underground Nuclear Test

US says it won't remain at an 'intolerable disadvantage' and will resume nuclear testing to counter Russia and China

Published on Feb. 20, 2026

The Trump administration has accused China of secretly conducting an underground nuclear explosion in 2020 near the Lop Nur test site in Xinjiang, citing seismic data. The US says it will resume full-scale nuclear weapons testing to counter the growing nuclear arsenals of China and Russia.

Why it matters

This accusation highlights the growing tensions between the US and China over nuclear capabilities and the potential for an arms race. The US decision to resume nuclear testing after a decades-long moratorium also marks a major shift in US defense policy.

The details

Christopher Yeaw, head of the State Department's Bureau of Arms Control and Nonproliferation, said the suspected nuclear test occurred on June 22, 2020 and was detected by seismic readings from a facility in Kazakhstan. Yeaw said China likely used "decoupling" techniques to muffle the blast, making it difficult to determine the yield. The Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization confirmed detecting two small seismic events but could not determine their cause.

  • The suspected nuclear test occurred on June 22, 2020.
  • Last year, President Trump directed the Defense Department to resume full-scale nuclear weapons testing for the first time since 1992.

The players

Christopher Yeaw

Head of the State Department's Bureau of Arms Control and Nonproliferation.

Donald Trump

Former President of the United States who directed the resumption of US nuclear testing to counter China and Russia's expanding nuclear arsenals.

Vladimir Putin

President of Russia, with whom Trump discussed denuclearization.

Xi Jinping

President of China, with whom Trump discussed denuclearization and met with in South Korea.

Got photos? Submit your photos here. ›

What they’re saying

“We're not going to remain at an intolerable disadvantage.”

— Christopher Yeaw, Head of the State Department's Bureau of Arms Control and Nonproliferation (The Washington Post)

“We know that they were preparing designated tests of hundreds of tons.”

— Christopher Yeaw, Head of the State Department's Bureau of Arms Control and Nonproliferation (The Washington Post)

“The U.S. needed to test nuclear weapons on an equal basis with China and Russia and highlighting that America already had the world's largest and most advanced stockpile, upgraded during his first term.”

— Donald Trump (Benzinga)

What’s next

The judge in the case will decide on Tuesday whether or not to allow Walker Reed Quinn out on bail.

The takeaway

This case highlights growing concerns in the community about repeat offenders released on bail, raising questions about bail reform, public safety on SF streets, and if any special laws to govern autonomous vehicles in residential and commercial areas.