- Today
- Holidays
- Birthdays
- Reminders
- Cities
- Atlanta
- Austin
- Baltimore
- Berwyn
- Beverly Hills
- Birmingham
- Boston
- Brooklyn
- Buffalo
- Charlotte
- Chicago
- Cincinnati
- Cleveland
- Columbus
- Dallas
- Denver
- Detroit
- Fort Worth
- Houston
- Indianapolis
- Knoxville
- Las Vegas
- Los Angeles
- Louisville
- Madison
- Memphis
- Miami
- Milwaukee
- Minneapolis
- Nashville
- New Orleans
- New York
- Omaha
- Orlando
- Philadelphia
- Phoenix
- Pittsburgh
- Portland
- Raleigh
- Richmond
- Rutherford
- Sacramento
- Salt Lake City
- San Antonio
- San Diego
- San Francisco
- San Jose
- Seattle
- Tampa
- Tucson
- Washington
New Haven Today
By the People, for the People
Judge Dismisses Charges Against 3 Connecticut Officers in Paralyzed Prisoner Case
The officers were accused of mistreating Richard 'Randy' Cox after he was left paralyzed in the back of a police van.
Published on Feb. 14, 2026
Got story updates? Submit your updates here. ›
A Connecticut judge has dismissed criminal charges against three New Haven police officers accused of mistreating a prisoner, Richard 'Randy' Cox, who was left paralyzed from the chest down after an incident in the back of a police van in 2022. The judge granted the officers a probation program that allows the charges to be erased from their records, saying their conduct was not malicious. Two other officers previously pleaded guilty to misdemeanor reckless endangerment and received no jail time.
Why it matters
The case drew outrage from civil rights advocates and comparisons to the Freddie Gray case in Baltimore, where a Black man died after suffering a spinal injury while in police custody. It has led to reforms at the New Haven police department and a statewide seat belt requirement for prisoners, but the dismissal of charges against the officers has raised concerns about accountability.
The details
On June 19, 2022, Cox, who is Black, was arrested on charges of threatening a woman with a gun, which were later dismissed. While being transported in the back of a police van with no seat belts, Cox was thrown head-first into a metal partition when the van braked hard to avoid an accident, leaving him paralyzed from the chest down. The officers then mocked Cox, accused him of faking his injuries, and dragged him out of the van and around the police station before placing him in a holding cell.
- On June 19, 2022, Cox was arrested and left paralyzed in the back of the police van.
- In 2023, the city of New Haven agreed to settle a lawsuit by Cox for $45 million.
- In 2026, a judge dismissed criminal charges against three of the officers involved.
The players
Richard 'Randy' Cox
A 40-year-old man who was left paralyzed from the chest down after an incident in the back of a New Haven police van in 2022.
Oscar Diaz
One of the New Haven police officers whose criminal charges were dismissed. He was the driver of the van when the incident occurred.
Jocelyn Lavandier
One of the New Haven police officers whose criminal charges were dismissed. She told Cox to move his leg and sit up while he was paralyzed in the van.
Luis Rivera
One of the New Haven police officers whose criminal charges were dismissed.
Justin Elicker
The mayor of New Haven, who said city officials disagreed with the judge's decision to dismiss the charges.
What they’re saying
“We don't think that there was sufficient evidence to prove her guilt or any wrongdoing. This is a negotiated settlement that avoids the risk of having go through the emotional toll of a trial.”
— Dan Ford, Attorney for Jocelyn Lavandier
“The actions of the Police Chief and City Mayor in targeting the officers were a misguided effort to deflect attention from the police department shortcomings in managing the department and ensuring proper protocols were in place and followed.”
— Raymond Hassett, Attorney for Luis Rivera
“What happened to Randy was tragic and awful.”
— Justin Elicker, Mayor of New Haven
What’s next
The officers whose cases were dismissed were scheduled to go on trial next month, but the judge's decision to grant them a probation program that allows the charges to be erased from their records has ended the criminal proceedings.
The takeaway
This case highlights ongoing concerns about accountability for police misconduct, particularly in incidents involving serious injuries or deaths of individuals in custody. While the city of New Haven has taken steps to reform its police department and provide compensation to the victim, the dismissal of charges against the officers involved raises questions about whether true justice has been served.


