Daily Roundup: UFC Heavyweight Champion Aspinall Addresses Rumors, Diaz Apologizes, and More MMA News

A recap of the top MMA stories from February 13, 2026, including updates on Tom Aspinall, Nate Diaz, and UFC roster cuts.

Published on Feb. 14, 2026

This daily roundup covers the top MMA news from February 13, 2026. UFC heavyweight champion Tom Aspinall denied rumors that he had been asked to vacate his title, while also revealing the eye issues that have sidelined him. Former UFC star Nate Diaz issued a rare apology for his trash talk, and the UFC released two more fighters from its roster. Plus, Sean Strickland discussed his plans to potentially retire soon, and a bizarre grappling match between a UFC heavyweight and a wrestler without legs is set for Karate Combat 59.

Why it matters

This roundup provides a comprehensive look at the latest developments in the world of MMA, covering a range of topics from fighter health and roster changes to fighter retirements and unique matchups. These stories offer insights into the current state of the sport and the challenges and opportunities facing its top athletes.

The details

UFC heavyweight champion Tom Aspinall denied rumors that he had been asked to vacate his title, clarifying that he is dealing with ongoing eye issues stemming from a double eye poke by Ciryl Gane at UFC 321 in October. Aspinall is suffering from dizzy spells, double vision, a black spot in one of his eyes, and pain when using his phone, which has made it difficult for him to track moving targets. Nate Diaz issued a rare apology for his trash talk directed at Charles Oliveira, admitting that he "went too far" in predicting that he would slap the former UFC lightweight champion. Diaz said his comments were "rude" and that he "shouldn't have said that." The UFC has continued its roster cuts, releasing two more fighters - Mohammed Usman, who was suspended for 30 months due to a failed drug test, and Adam Fugitt, who went 2-4 in the Octagon. Sean Strickland, a former UFC middleweight champion, says he could retire right now if he wanted to, but is inspired by Alexander Volkanovski's longevity to keep fighting for as long as possible. Strickland faces Anthony Hernandez in a title eliminator at UFC Houston on February 21. Finally, a bizarre grappling match between UFC heavyweight Valter Walker and wrestler Zion Clark, who was born without legs, is set for Karate Combat 59 on Friday night. The two were separated after a physical altercation during their pre-fight face-off, adding to the intrigue of their upcoming clash.

  • On October 2, 2025, Ciryl Gane delivered a double eye poke to Tom Aspinall at UFC 321.
  • On February 13, 2026, Nate Diaz issued an apology for his trash talk directed at Charles Oliveira.
  • On February 13, 2026, the UFC released Mohammed Usman and Adam Fugitt from its roster.

The players

Tom Aspinall

The current UFC heavyweight champion who is dealing with ongoing eye issues stemming from a double eye poke by Ciryl Gane.

Nate Diaz

A former UFC star who issued a rare apology for his trash talk directed at Charles Oliveira.

Mohammed Usman

A UFC fighter who was released from the promotion's roster following a 30-month suspension for failing a drug test.

Adam Fugitt

A UFC welterweight who was released from the promotion's roster after going 2-4 in the Octagon.

Sean Strickland

A former UFC middleweight champion who says he could retire right now but is inspired by Alexander Volkanovski's longevity to keep fighting.

Got photos? Submit your photos here. ›

What they’re saying

“I mean Volk just won, what is Volk? 37? Almost 38? I love fighting. It's kind of hard, like what would I do? I'm turning 35, so I mean, let's say I have three years in me, I mean, that's a lot of f—— fights.”

— Sean Strickland, Former UFC Middleweight Champion (Bloody Elbow)

“I didn't say I'd slap Max (Holloway), I said that about (Oliveira), but I shouldn't have said that either, it was rude and I was fd up. If we were fighting in a caged match, I might attempt it, but that was rude. I shouldn't have said that, my bad Bruhs all Respecto.”

— Nate Diaz (X (formerly Twitter)

What’s next

The judge in the case will decide on Tuesday whether or not to allow Walker Reed Quinn out on bail.

The takeaway

This daily roundup highlights the diverse range of stories and issues currently impacting the world of MMA, from fighter health and roster changes to fighter retirements and unique matchups. These stories offer a comprehensive look at the sport and the challenges and opportunities facing its top athletes.