- Today
- Holidays
- Birthdays
- Reminders
- Cities
- Atlanta
- Austin
- Baltimore
- Berwyn
- Beverly Hills
- Birmingham
- Boston
- Brooklyn
- Buffalo
- Charlotte
- Chicago
- Cincinnati
- Cleveland
- Columbus
- Dallas
- Denver
- Detroit
- Fort Worth
- Houston
- Indianapolis
- Knoxville
- Las Vegas
- Los Angeles
- Louisville
- Madison
- Memphis
- Miami
- Milwaukee
- Minneapolis
- Nashville
- New Orleans
- New York
- Omaha
- Orlando
- Philadelphia
- Phoenix
- Pittsburgh
- Portland
- Raleigh
- Richmond
- Rutherford
- Sacramento
- Salt Lake City
- San Antonio
- San Diego
- San Francisco
- San Jose
- Seattle
- Tampa
- Tucson
- Washington
Conagra Ordered to Pay $25M in Pam Cooking Spray Lawsuit
Jury finds Conagra failed to warn consumers about lung disease risks from diacetyl in butter-flavored spray.
Published on Feb. 13, 2026
Got story updates? Submit your updates here. ›
A Los Angeles jury awarded $25 million to a man who developed a rare chronic lung disease after regularly using Conagra's butter-flavored Pam cooking spray. The verdict found that Conagra did not adequately warn consumers about the potential dangers of inhaling fumes from the spray, which contained the chemical diacetyl linked to respiratory illness.
Why it matters
This case highlights growing concerns about the potential health risks of certain food additives and the responsibility of manufacturers to properly inform consumers. The ruling could set a precedent for future lawsuits against cooking spray and other food product companies over undisclosed dangers.
The details
Roland Esparza, 58, filed the lawsuit in 2022 alleging that his regular use of Pam cooking spray since the 1990s, which contained the butter-flavoring chemical diacetyl, caused him to develop bronchiolitis obliterans, a severe and progressive respiratory disease known as "popcorn lung." Conagra said it removed diacetyl from its Pam formulation in 2009, but the jury found the company did not adequately warn consumers about the risks prior to that.
- Esparza filed the lawsuit in 2022.
- The jury reached its $25 million verdict last week.
- Conagra says it removed diacetyl from Pam in 2009.
The players
Roland Esparza
A 58-year-old Los Angeles man who regularly used Pam cooking spray containing diacetyl since the 1990s and developed a rare chronic lung disease as a result.
Conagra
The Chicago-based food company that owns the Pam cooking spray brand and was ordered to pay $25 million in the lawsuit.
Jacob Plattenberger
Esparza's Chicago-based attorney who represented him in the lawsuit against Conagra.
What’s next
Conagra says it plans to challenge the $25 million verdict.
The takeaway
This case highlights the importance of food manufacturers being transparent about potential health risks associated with their products, even after removing problematic ingredients. The ruling could open the door for more lawsuits against companies over undisclosed dangers.
Los Angeles top stories
Los Angeles events
Feb. 17, 2026
Warren Haynes SoloFeb. 17, 2026
Here Lies LoveFeb. 17, 2026
Cat Power: The Greatest Tour



