- Today
- Holidays
- Birthdays
- Reminders
- Cities
- Atlanta
- Austin
- Baltimore
- Berwyn
- Beverly Hills
- Birmingham
- Boston
- Brooklyn
- Buffalo
- Charlotte
- Chicago
- Cincinnati
- Cleveland
- Columbus
- Dallas
- Denver
- Detroit
- Fort Worth
- Houston
- Indianapolis
- Knoxville
- Las Vegas
- Los Angeles
- Louisville
- Madison
- Memphis
- Miami
- Milwaukee
- Minneapolis
- Nashville
- New Orleans
- New York
- Omaha
- Orlando
- Philadelphia
- Phoenix
- Pittsburgh
- Portland
- Raleigh
- Richmond
- Rutherford
- Sacramento
- Salt Lake City
- San Antonio
- San Diego
- San Francisco
- San Jose
- Seattle
- Tampa
- Tucson
- Washington
College Football Insider Weighs In on Joey Aguilar's Eligibility Hearing
Chris Low discusses the Tennessee quarterback's legal battle with the NCAA over his remaining year of eligibility.
Published on Feb. 16, 2026
Got story updates? Submit your updates here. ›
Tennessee quarterback Joey Aguilar had his eligibility hearing on Friday, and college football insider Chris Low shared his thoughts on the proceedings. Low said an attorney he spoke with was not optimistic about Aguilar's chances, but cautioned that the final decision rests with the judge. Aguilar is suing the NCAA over rules that count junior college seasons against a player's NCAA eligibility, arguing he should have an additional year to play at the NCAA level.
Why it matters
Aguilar's case could set an important precedent for how the NCAA handles eligibility for players who have spent time in junior college. The outcome will determine whether Aguilar can return to lead Tennessee's offense for one more season or if he will have to move on.
The details
At the hearing, both Aguilar and the NCAA's representatives fielded questions from Judge Chris Heagerty, who did not immediately rule from the bench. Low said an attorney he spoke with was unsure if it was the best day for Aguilar, but cautioned that the final decision is up to the judge. Aguilar's lawsuit argues he should have an additional year of eligibility due to the time he spent at Diablo Valley Community College.
- Aguilar's eligibility hearing took place on Friday, February 16, 2026.
- A decision from Judge Heagerty is expected to come on Tuesday, February 20, 2026, after the holiday weekend.
The players
Joey Aguilar
The Tennessee quarterback who is suing the NCAA over rules that count junior college seasons against a player's NCAA eligibility.
Chris Heagerty
The judge presiding over Joey Aguilar's eligibility hearing.
Chris Low
A college football insider who shared his thoughts on Aguilar's eligibility hearing.
Diego Pavia
A Vanderbilt quarterback who previously won a similar case against the NCAA, leading to an extra year of eligibility for some players.
What they’re saying
“I'll say this, one attorney in town who has handled some of these sports eligibility cases told me the other day, as he watched that play out, he doesn't know if he would feel great about it if he was there on the Aguilar side.”
— Chris Low, College Football Insider (rockytopinsider.com)
“I don't know. I've had several different people tell me different things. The one person I trust the most said, looking at it from a lawyer's perspective, he's not sure if it was the best day for Aguilar and his side.”
— Chris Low, College Football Insider (rockytopinsider.com)
What’s next
Judge Heagerty is expected to rule on Aguilar's eligibility case on Tuesday, February 20, 2026.
The takeaway
Aguilar's case could set an important precedent for how the NCAA handles eligibility for players who have spent time in junior college. The outcome will determine whether he can return to lead Tennessee's offense for one more season or if he will have to move on.
Knoxville top stories
Knoxville events
Feb. 18, 2026
Cabaret (CBT)Feb. 19, 2026
Cabaret (CBT)




