Yankees GM Hints at Demoting Top Prospect Jasson Dominguez

Cashman says 'stay tuned' on sending Dominguez to Triple-A for more playing time

Published on Feb. 13, 2026

The New York Yankees are facing a roster crunch in the outfield after re-signing Trent Grisham and Cody Bellinger, leaving top prospect Jasson Dominguez on the fringes of the big-league roster. Yankees GM Brian Cashman hinted that Dominguez could start the season in Triple-A to get more consistent playing time, a change from earlier comments about keeping him in the majors.

Why it matters

Dominguez was once considered the Yankees' top prospect, but struggled in limited playing time last season. Sending him to the minors could allow him to develop further, but also raises questions about the team's long-term plans for the 23-year-old outfielder.

The details

The Yankees re-signed Grisham and Bellinger to join Aaron Judge in the outfield, leaving little room for Dominguez. Cashman previously said he didn't want to send Dominguez to Triple-A last year, but now says 'stay tuned' on a potential demotion, noting it may be in Dominguez's 'best interest to be getting everyday reps'.

  • Dominguez was given 381 big-league at-bats last season.
  • The Yankees re-signed Grisham and Bellinger in the offseason.

The players

Jasson Dominguez

A 23-year-old outfield prospect who was once considered the Yankees' top minor league talent.

Brian Cashman

The general manager of the New York Yankees.

Trent Grisham

An outfielder who the Yankees re-signed this offseason.

Cody Bellinger

An outfielder who the Yankees re-signed to a five-year, $162.5 million deal this offseason.

Aaron Judge

The Yankees' franchise slugger who will man the outfield.

Got photos? Submit your photos here. ›

What they’re saying

“Stay tuned. I would conceive it's in his best interest to be getting everyday reps.”

— Brian Cashman, General Manager, New York Yankees (New York Daily News)

“I could have sent him to Triple-A (last year). I didn't think that was right to do, either. He provided the chance for us to run into something off the bench, especially with his speed to go along with (José) Caballero. But I still think there's some upside there.”

— Brian Cashman, General Manager, New York Yankees (MLB.com)

What’s next

The judge in the case will decide on Tuesday whether or not to allow Walker Reed Quinn out on bail.

The takeaway

This case highlights growing concerns in the community about repeat offenders released on bail, raising questions about bail reform, public safety on SF streets, and if any special laws to govern autonomous vehicles in residential and commercial areas.