- Today
- Holidays
- Birthdays
- Reminders
- Cities
- Atlanta
- Austin
- Baltimore
- Berwyn
- Beverly Hills
- Birmingham
- Boston
- Brooklyn
- Buffalo
- Charlotte
- Chicago
- Cincinnati
- Cleveland
- Columbus
- Dallas
- Denver
- Detroit
- Fort Worth
- Houston
- Indianapolis
- Knoxville
- Las Vegas
- Los Angeles
- Louisville
- Madison
- Memphis
- Miami
- Milwaukee
- Minneapolis
- Nashville
- New Orleans
- New York
- Omaha
- Orlando
- Philadelphia
- Phoenix
- Pittsburgh
- Portland
- Raleigh
- Richmond
- Rutherford
- Sacramento
- Salt Lake City
- San Antonio
- San Diego
- San Francisco
- San Jose
- Seattle
- Tampa
- Tucson
- Washington
Ohio Man Faces Federal Charges in Teen's Dismemberment Case
Tyler Thomas accused of sexual exploitation of a minor and interstate travel for illicit sexual conduct
Published on Feb. 11, 2026
Got story updates? Submit your updates here. ›
A 39-year-old Columbus man previously arrested in the death of 17-year-old Hailey Buzbee now faces federal charges, including sexual exploitation of a minor and interstate travel for illicit sexual conduct, authorities announced. Federal prosecutors said a forensic review of Thomas' cell phone identified deleted communications between Thomas and Buzbee, including messages on Snapchat and sexually explicit images of the teen.
Why it matters
This case highlights the growing problem of online predators targeting and exploiting minors, as well as the tragic consequences that can result. It also raises concerns about the safety of young people in the digital age and the need for greater education and awareness around online grooming and exploitation.
The details
Tyler Thomas was initially taken into custody in January in connection with the disappearance and death of 17-year-old Hailey Buzbee, whose dismembered remains were found in Wayne National Forest. A federal criminal complaint accuses Thomas of traveling from Columbus to Indiana during the overnight hours of Jan. 5 to Jan. 6 to pick up Buzbee before driving her back to Ohio with the intent to "engage in illicit sexual activity, specifically the production of child pornography." Federal prosecutors said Thomas' cellphone also allegedly contained child sexual abuse material involving a girl believed to be between 7 and 10 years old, along with other sexual messages exchanged with another teenager on Discord.
- On January 5-6, 2026, Thomas allegedly traveled from Columbus to Indiana to pick up Buzbee.
- In January 2026, Thomas was initially taken into custody in connection with Buzbee's disappearance and death.
The players
Tyler Thomas
A 39-year-old Columbus man who faces federal charges, including sexual exploitation of a minor and interstate travel for illicit sexual conduct, in connection with the death of 17-year-old Hailey Buzbee.
Hailey Buzbee
A 17-year-old girl whose dismembered remains were found in Wayne National Forest. Thomas is accused of sexually exploiting her and traveling interstate to engage in illicit sexual conduct.
What they’re saying
“The FBI and our partners will continue to aggressively pursue all evidence in this case as we seek the facts about Hailey's disappearance and death. While we are deeply saddened that we cannot bring Hailey home, we are committed to holding accountable anyone involved in the crimes against her.”
— Jason Cromartie, FBI Cincinnati Special Agent in Charge (FBI)
What’s next
Federal prosecutors said the case against Tyler Thomas will proceed, and local charges previously filed against him are expected to be dismissed.
The takeaway
This tragic case underscores the urgent need for greater online safety education and awareness, as well as stronger measures to protect minors from predatory behavior and exploitation in the digital age. It serves as a sobering reminder of the devastating consequences that can result when vulnerable young people are targeted by those seeking to abuse and exploit them.




