Durham DA Candidate Jonathan Wilson Vows to Rebuild Community Trust

Wilson, a criminal defense attorney, is challenging the incumbent in the March 3 primary election.

Published on Feb. 13, 2026

Jonathan Wilson, a 42-year-old criminal defense attorney, is running for Durham County District Attorney, challenging the incumbent Satana Deberry. Wilson, who previously ran for the position in 2022, is focusing his campaign on collaboration with local organizations, being present in the courthouse and community, and rebuilding trust with constituents. He believes crime may be down in Durham, but people don't feel safe, and he wants to be more proactive in addressing issues like truancy and supporting crime victims.

Why it matters

The Durham County District Attorney race is a closely watched contest, as the winner will play a key role in shaping the county's approach to criminal justice issues. Wilson's campaign promises to take a more community-oriented approach, in contrast to criticisms of the incumbent's physical absence from the courthouse.

The details

Wilson, who has practiced law since 2010 and led his own Durham practice since 2017, is no stranger to launching a DA bid. He ran for the same position in 2022 and lost, receiving only about 16% of votes against incumbent Satana Deberry. The same match-up will repeat itself on Tuesday, March 3, when Durham residents vote in the countywide primary and election. This time, Wilson is hoping things will go differently. His platform focuses on collaboration with local organizations, being present in the courthouse and community, and rebuilding trust with constituents. Through his participation in the Durham County Juvenile Crime Prevention Council, Wilson has seen the relationship between absenteeism and juvenile crime, and he'd like to affiliate with community groups to combat Durham's rising truancy rates. He also wants school system truancy letters to note that the district attorney's office will be involved in efforts to combat absenteeism.

  • Wilson ran for the Durham County District Attorney position in 2022 and lost.
  • The same match-up between Wilson and incumbent Satana Deberry will repeat itself on Tuesday, March 3, 2026, when Durham residents vote in the countywide primary and election.

The players

Jonathan Wilson

A 42-year-old criminal defense attorney who is running for Durham County District Attorney, challenging the incumbent Satana Deberry.

Satana Deberry

The incumbent Durham County District Attorney, who is being challenged by Jonathan Wilson in the March 3 primary election.

Josette Ferguson

Wilson's campaign manager, who believes Wilson's genuineness is what voters in Durham are looking for.

Jessica Major

A former classmate of Wilson's who says he genuinely cares about Durham and is willing to commit time away from his business and family to run for office.

Got photos? Submit your photos here. ›

What they’re saying

“Crime may be down, but people in Durham don't feel safe,”

— Jonathan Wilson, Durham County District Attorney Candidate (9thStreetJournal.org)

“Folks… don't want somebody who's a cookie-cutter. They don't want somebody who is a person who says all the talking points of the political party. They want someone who's real.”

— Josette Ferguson, Wilson's Campaign Manager (9thStreetJournal.org)

“He genuinely cares about Durham. It's very hard to step up and say, 'I'm going to take this time away from the business that pays me, I'm going to take this time away from my family and I'm going to commit it to running for this office because I believe that Durham really needs some change.''”

— Jessica Major, Former Classmate of Wilson (9thStreetJournal.org)

What’s next

The judge in the case will decide on Tuesday whether or not to allow Walker Reed Quinn out on bail.

The takeaway

This case highlights growing concerns in the community about repeat offenders released on bail, raising questions about bail reform, public safety on SF streets, and if any special laws to govern autonomous vehicles in residential and commercial areas.