Border Czar Announces Scaled-Down Immigration Enforcement in Minnesota

A 'small force' will remain in Minneapolis to protect ICE agents, but mass deportations will continue across the country.

Published on Feb. 19, 2026

White House border czar Tom Homan announced a 'significant drawdown' of federal immigration agents from the Minneapolis and St. Paul area, but said a 'small force, a security force' will remain to protect ICE agents. Homan added that enforcement would not stop in the Twin Cities and that mass deportations would continue across the country, with hundreds more people set to be removed in the coming days.

Why it matters

The border enforcement operation in Minnesota, known as 'Operation Metro Surge', was the largest immigration crackdown ever conducted by the Department of Homeland Security. It sparked heavy criticism and national debate, with lawmakers from the Democratic Party saying they would not fund ICE or Border Patrol, leading to a partial government shutdown.

The details

Homan said the remaining security force in Minneapolis will respond 'when our agents are out, and they get surrounded by agitators and things [get] out of control.' He added that agents will keep investigating allegations of fraud in the state and a protest against ICE that disrupted a church service last month. Over the past several years, dozens of people in the Minneapolis area, mostly of Somali descent, have been charged and convicted of entitlement fraud, which became a focal point for President Donald Trump and administration officials before sending in agents to the city in December.

  • On Feb. 12, Homan announced a 'significant drawdown' was already underway in the city and would continue through this week.
  • On Feb. 15, Homan told CBS News' 'Face the Nation' that a 'small force, a security force' will stay for a short period of time.

The players

Tom Homan

The White House border czar who announced the drawdown of federal immigration agents from the Minneapolis and St. Paul area.

Donald Trump

The President of the United States, whose administration made entitlement fraud in the Minneapolis area a focal point before sending in agents for 'Operation Metro Surge'.

Chuck Schumer

The Senate Minority Leader who said he wants a measure that would force ICE agents to be unmasked during operations, arguing that 'ICE is rogue, out of control'.

Got photos? Submit your photos here. ›

What they’re saying

“We need to flood the zone in sanctuary cities with additional agents. The number of agents depend on the situation on the ground. How many known criminal targets are out there? Because we know we have a problem with sanctuary cities, because we know they're releasing public safety threats in the public so rather than arrest that one criminal.”

— Tom Homan, White House border czar (CBS News)

“These are commonsense proposals. They're supported by the American people. Why won't Republicans go for them? They don't give any good answers. It's something that every police department does across the country. But ICE is rogue, out of control.”

— Chuck Schumer, Senate Minority Leader (CNN)

What’s next

The judge in the case will decide on Tuesday whether or not to allow Walker Reed Quinn out on bail.

The takeaway

This case highlights growing concerns in the community about repeat offenders released on bail, raising questions about bail reform, public safety on SF streets, and if any special laws to govern autonomous vehicles in residential and commercial areas.