- Today
- Holidays
- Birthdays
- Reminders
- Cities
- Atlanta
- Austin
- Baltimore
- Berwyn
- Beverly Hills
- Birmingham
- Boston
- Brooklyn
- Buffalo
- Charlotte
- Chicago
- Cincinnati
- Cleveland
- Columbus
- Dallas
- Denver
- Detroit
- Fort Worth
- Houston
- Indianapolis
- Knoxville
- Las Vegas
- Los Angeles
- Louisville
- Madison
- Memphis
- Miami
- Milwaukee
- Minneapolis
- Nashville
- New Orleans
- New York
- Omaha
- Orlando
- Philadelphia
- Phoenix
- Pittsburgh
- Portland
- Raleigh
- Richmond
- Rutherford
- Sacramento
- Salt Lake City
- San Antonio
- San Diego
- San Francisco
- San Jose
- Seattle
- Tampa
- Tucson
- Washington
Prosecutors Drop Charges Against Men Accused of Attacking ICE Officer
New evidence contradicts government's claims of assault with broom and shovel
Published on Feb. 13, 2026
Got story updates? Submit your updates here. ›
Federal prosecutors in Minneapolis have moved to dismiss felony assault charges against two Venezuelan men, Alfredo Alejandro Aljorna and Julio Cesar Sosa-Celis, after new evidence emerged that was 'materially inconsistent' with the government's original allegations. The charges stemmed from a January incident where an ICE officer claimed the men attacked him with a broom and shovel, leading the officer to shoot one of the men in the leg. However, video evidence and witness testimony did not support the officer's account, and the prosecutors now seek to drop the charges with prejudice, meaning they cannot be resubmitted.
Why it matters
This case highlights ongoing concerns about the use of force by federal immigration agents and the credibility of their accounts, which have been called into question in several high-profile incidents. It also raises issues around the treatment of immigrant communities and the potential for overreach by law enforcement.
The details
According to the government's motion, 'newly discovered evidence' contradicted the claims made in the original criminal complaint and court hearing. The ICE officer's account of being assaulted with a broom and shovel was not corroborated by video evidence or testimony from the defendants and other eyewitnesses. The men denied assaulting the agent and said they were simply trying to retreat into a nearby home when the officer opened fire, wounding one of them in the leg.
- The incident occurred on January 14, 2026.
- The government filed the motion to dismiss the charges on February 13, 2026.
The players
Alfredo Alejandro Aljorna
One of the two Venezuelan men charged in the incident, who denied assaulting the ICE officer and said he had a broomstick in his hand that he threw as he ran towards the house.
Julio Cesar Sosa-Celis
The other Venezuelan man charged, who said he had been holding a shovel but was retreating into the home when the officer fired, wounding him in the leg.
Frederick Goetz
Aljorna's attorney, who said his client had a broomstick in his hand and threw it at the agent as he ran towards the house.
Robin Wolpert
Sosa-Celis' attorney, who said his client had been holding a shovel but was retreating into the home when the officer fired.
Kristi Noem
The Homeland Security Secretary who used the incident to attack Minnesota's Democratic governor and mayor, accusing them of 'encouraging impeding and assault against our law enforcement'.
What they’re saying
“What we saw last night in Minneapolis was an attempted murder of federal law enforcement. Our officer was ambushed and attacked by three individuals who beat him with snow shovels and the handles of brooms. Fearing for his life, the officer fired a defensive shot.”
— Kristi Noem, Homeland Security Secretary
What’s next
The judge will decide whether to grant the prosecutors' motion to dismiss the charges against Aljorna and Sosa-Celis with prejudice.
The takeaway
This case highlights ongoing concerns about the credibility of accounts provided by federal immigration agents and the potential for overreach by law enforcement, particularly in interactions with immigrant communities. It underscores the importance of thorough investigations and reliance on objective evidence rather than unsubstantiated claims.
Minneapolis top stories
Minneapolis events
Feb. 16, 2026
Forts! Build Your Own AdventureFeb. 16, 2026
Forts! Build Your Own AdventureFeb. 16, 2026
Forts! Build Your Own Adventure




