Former Federal Prosecutor Represents Don Lemon in Church Protest Case

Thompson resigned amid dispute with Trump administration, now leads defense for ex-CNN host charged in disruption of service

Published on Feb. 10, 2026

A former federal prosecutor who resigned amid a dispute with the Trump administration is now representing former CNN host Don Lemon, who was one of nine people indicted for their alleged roles in disrupting a service at a Minnesota church where an Immigration and Customs Enforcement official was a pastor.

Why it matters

The case highlights growing tensions between federal prosecutors and the Trump administration's immigration enforcement policies, with several prosecutors leaving the Minnesota U.S. Attorney's Office amid frustration over the administration's crackdown and response to fatal shootings by federal officers.

The details

Lemon has hired former interim U.S. Attorney Joe Thompson, who had been leading major fraud cases for the Minnesota U.S. Attorney's Office until he resigned last month. Lemon has said he was not affiliated with the group that disrupted the church service and was there in his capacity as an independent journalist, but the indictment alleges various actions by the group that entered the church, including what Lemon said as he reported on the event.

  • Lemon is scheduled to be arraigned on Feb. 13 in federal court in St. Paul.
  • Thompson recently formed his own law firm with another former federal prosecutor who resigned amid the upheaval in the office.

The players

Don Lemon

Former CNN host who was one of nine people indicted for their alleged roles in disrupting a service at a Minnesota church.

Joe Thompson

Former interim U.S. Attorney who was leading major fraud cases for the Minnesota U.S. Attorney's Office until he resigned last month, and is now representing Lemon.

Harry Jacobs

Another former federal prosecutor who resigned amid the upheaval in the office and has formed a law firm with Thompson.

Got photos? Submit your photos here. ›

What they’re saying

“Lemon had previously said through another attorney that he planned to plead not guilty to federal civil rights charges over his coverage of the church protest. He has said he was not affiliated with the group that disrupted the church service, and that he was there in his capacity as an independent journalist.”

— Don Lemon (mymotherlode.com)

What’s next

The judge in the case will decide on Tuesday whether or not to allow Lemon out on bail.

The takeaway

This case highlights the growing tensions between federal prosecutors and the Trump administration's immigration enforcement policies, with several prosecutors resigning from the Minnesota U.S. Attorney's Office amid frustration over the administration's crackdown and response to fatal shootings by federal officers.