- Today
- Holidays
- Birthdays
- Reminders
- Cities
- Atlanta
- Austin
- Baltimore
- Berwyn
- Beverly Hills
- Birmingham
- Boston
- Brooklyn
- Buffalo
- Charlotte
- Chicago
- Cincinnati
- Cleveland
- Columbus
- Dallas
- Denver
- Detroit
- Fort Worth
- Houston
- Indianapolis
- Knoxville
- Las Vegas
- Los Angeles
- Louisville
- Madison
- Memphis
- Miami
- Milwaukee
- Minneapolis
- Nashville
- New Orleans
- New York
- Omaha
- Orlando
- Philadelphia
- Phoenix
- Pittsburgh
- Portland
- Raleigh
- Richmond
- Rutherford
- Sacramento
- Salt Lake City
- San Antonio
- San Diego
- San Francisco
- San Jose
- Seattle
- Tampa
- Tucson
- Washington
Milan Today
By the People, for the People
US Figure Skating Won't Appeal Olympics Ice Dance Controversy
Team USA's Madison Chock and Evan Bates decide not to file an appeal after a French judge's scoring decision cost them gold.
Published on Feb. 16, 2026
Got story updates? Submit your updates here. ›
Team USA's ice dancers Madison Chock and Evan Bates will not be filing an appeal after a controversial scoring decision at the 2026 Winter Olympics in Milan that seemingly snubbed them from a second gold medal. U.S. Figure Skating CEO Matt Farrell said the organization will have 'thoughtful and intentional discussions' with Chock and Bates about the best way to support them and the future of the sport, but for now they plan to 'join them in supporting the success of U.S. Figure Skating in Milan'.
Why it matters
The scoring controversy stemmed from a French judge handing out lopsided scoring that brought down the American pair's score and boosted the French duo of Laurence Fournier Beaudry and Guillaume Cizeron, who edged out Chock and Bates by just 1.43 points to win gold. Many in the skating world were critical of the results, which surprised Chock and Bates themselves.
The details
Chock and Bates previously said they would 'consider' submitting an appeal following their silver medal performance in the ice dancing final. However, the 24-hour window to appeal the Feb. 11 results has now passed, though U.S. Figure Skating could still take action by sending a letter of concern to the International Skating Union.
- The ice dancing final took place on February 11, 2026.
- The 24-hour window to appeal the results has now passed.
The players
Madison Chock and Evan Bates
A U.S. figure skating ice dancing pair who won silver at the 2026 Winter Olympics in Milan.
Laurence Fournier Beaudry and Guillaume Cizeron
A French figure skating ice dancing pair who won gold at the 2026 Winter Olympics in Milan.
Jézabel Dabois
A French figure skating judge whose scoring was criticized for favoring the French ice dancing pair over the American pair.
Matt Farrell
The CEO of U.S. Figure Skating.
What they’re saying
“There has been a lot of thoughtful, and at times emotional, discussion about the ice dance competition in Milan. Working together with Madi and Evan after the Games, we will have thoughtful and intentional discussions about the best way to support them and the future of the sport. For now, we plan to join them in supporting the success of U.S. Figure Skating in Milan.”
— Matt Farrell, CEO, U.S. Figure Skating (USA Today Sports)
“We felt like we delivered our absolute best performance that we could have. It was our Olympic moment. It felt like a winning skate to us, and that's what we're going to hold on to.”
— Evan Bates (USA Today)
What’s next
U.S. Figure Skating could still take action by sending a letter of concern to the International Skating Union regarding the controversial scoring decision.
The takeaway
The scoring controversy at the 2026 Winter Olympics ice dancing final has raised questions about judging fairness and transparency in figure skating, even as Team USA's Chock and Bates choose not to pursue a formal appeal and instead focus on supporting the success of U.S. Figure Skating going forward.

