Chicago Man Cleared of Murder Plot Still Detained After Bail Denied

Immigration judge cites 'substantial' evidence of danger despite acquittal in criminal case.

Published on Feb. 11, 2026

Juan Espinoza Martinez, a Chicago man acquitted last month of orchestrating a murder-for-hire plot against a U.S. Border Patrol commander, was denied bail by an immigration judge who cited 'substantial' evidence that he poses a danger to the community despite the criminal trial verdict.

Why it matters

The case highlights the differences between criminal and immigration court standards, as well as the ongoing tensions between immigration enforcement and local communities in Chicago. Espinoza Martinez's continued detention after being cleared of criminal charges raises concerns about due process and the potential overreach of immigration authorities.

The details

At a bond hearing, Judge Matthew Beese said lawyers for the Department of Homeland Security presented evidence from the criminal trial that had either been rejected by jurors or barred by the judge. This included phone records alleging Espinoza Martinez was affiliated with the Latin Kings gang and had access to firearms, as well as a Snapchat message that prosecutors claimed was a threat against the Border Patrol commander. Espinoza Martinez's attorney rejected these claims, stating he had no criminal record beyond minor traffic violations and denying any gang involvement.

  • Espinoza Martinez was acquitted on January 22, 2026.
  • He has been in federal custody for over four months since his arrest in early October 2025.

The players

Juan Espinoza Martinez

A 37-year-old Chicago resident who was acquitted of orchestrating a murder-for-hire plot against a U.S. Border Patrol commander, but is now being detained by immigration authorities.

Gregory Bovino

The U.S. Border Patrol commander who was the alleged target of the murder-for-hire plot.

Judge Matthew Beese

The immigration judge who denied bail to Espinoza Martinez, citing 'substantial' evidence of danger despite his criminal acquittal.

Sussethe Renteria

The immigration attorney representing Espinoza Martinez, who said he has the support of his community and family and has no criminal record beyond minor traffic violations.

Alderman Michael Rodriguez

The Chicago alderman who provided a statement saying Espinoza Martinez has no connection to gang activity.

Got photos? Submit your photos here. ›

What they’re saying

“While we respect the court's decision, we are disappointed with the outcome. He has the unwavering support of his community and his family, and has three children and a wife desperate for him to come home. We are confident that justice will be served.”

— Sussethe Renteria, Immigration attorney

“Merely living in a neighborhood with gang presence does not make someone a gang member.”

— Sussethe Renteria, Immigration attorney

What’s next

Renteria said she is considering appealing the court's decision to deny Espinoza Martinez bail. A removal hearing for Espinoza Martinez is scheduled for February 25, and Renteria said she will file a request to cancel the removal.

The takeaway

This case highlights the tensions between criminal justice and immigration enforcement, as well as the challenges immigrants can face even after being cleared of criminal charges. It raises questions about the appropriate use of evidence and the standards applied in immigration court versus criminal court.