- Today
- Holidays
- Birthdays
- Reminders
- Cities
- Atlanta
- Austin
- Baltimore
- Berwyn
- Beverly Hills
- Birmingham
- Boston
- Brooklyn
- Buffalo
- Charlotte
- Chicago
- Cincinnati
- Cleveland
- Columbus
- Dallas
- Denver
- Detroit
- Fort Worth
- Houston
- Indianapolis
- Knoxville
- Las Vegas
- Los Angeles
- Louisville
- Madison
- Memphis
- Miami
- Milwaukee
- Minneapolis
- Nashville
- New Orleans
- New York
- Omaha
- Orlando
- Philadelphia
- Phoenix
- Pittsburgh
- Portland
- Raleigh
- Richmond
- Rutherford
- Sacramento
- Salt Lake City
- San Antonio
- San Diego
- San Francisco
- San Jose
- Seattle
- Tampa
- Tucson
- Washington
Port St. Lucie Today
By the People, for the People
Port St. Lucie Man Charged with Attempted Murder After Beach Attack
Suspect allegedly tried to drown woman in the ocean at Stuart Beach
Published on Feb. 17, 2026
Got story updates? Submit your updates here. ›
A 26-year-old Port St. Lucie man has been arrested and charged with attempted first-degree premeditated murder after deputies say he attacked a woman on the beach in Stuart, Florida and tried to drown her in the ocean. The victim was able to break free and run to safety, where she encountered deputies.
Why it matters
This violent incident at a public beach raises concerns about public safety and the need for increased security measures in popular coastal areas. It also highlights the importance of community vigilance and cooperation with law enforcement to help prevent and respond to such attacks.
The details
According to the Martin County Sheriff's Office, deputies responded around 11 p.m. on February 12 to a disturbance call at Stuart Beach. The victim told deputies she had been walking along the shoreline while on the phone with her sister when an unknown man attacked her from behind. The attacker allegedly grabbed her phone and threw it into the ocean, then pulled her hair, grabbed her neck, and forced her head underwater, holding her there until she swallowed seawater and may have lost consciousness. The victim was eventually able to break free and run to safety.
- The incident occurred around 11 p.m. on Thursday, February 12, 2026.
- The victim's sister was on the phone with her for over an hour and heard the struggle before the call disconnected around 10:56 p.m.
- Detectives received information from Port St. Lucie Police about the suspect on Sunday, February 15, 2026.
The players
Said Alexander Hernandez-Gonzalez
A 26-year-old man from Port St. Lucie, Florida who was arrested and charged with attempted first-degree premeditated murder for the attack.
The Victim
A woman who was walking along the shoreline at Stuart Beach when she was attacked from behind by the suspect.
What they’re saying
“Hernandez-Gonzalez admitted he was at Stuart Beach that night and acknowledged throwing the woman's phone into the water. Investigators wrote that he also admitted to continuing to submerge her head underwater after realizing he had 'gone too far,' and that he believed she was dead before leaving the beach.”
— Said Alexander Hernandez-Gonzalez (CBS12)
What’s next
The judge will decide on Tuesday whether to allow Hernandez-Gonzalez to be released on bail.
The takeaway
This violent attack at a public beach highlights the need for increased security and vigilance to ensure the safety of beachgoers. It also underscores the importance of swift action by law enforcement and the justice system to hold perpetrators accountable and protect the community.

