Soto Excited for Mets' New-Look Roster, Chance to 'Forget About Drama'

Outfielder says Mets have 'even better team' after offseason overhaul

Published on Feb. 16, 2026

Mets outfielder Juan Soto is thrilled about the team's roster overhaul in the offseason, saying the Mets have an "even better team" this year compared to 2025 when they underachieved and missed the playoffs. Soto is looking forward to a fresh start and putting any past drama behind them, focusing on winning games in 2026.

Why it matters

The Mets made significant changes to their roster in the offseason, subtracting key players like Pete Alonso, Brandon Nimmo, and Edwin Diaz, and adding new faces like Bo Bichette and Jorge Polanco. Soto, the Mets' $765 million star, is optimistic about the team's chances and wants to put any past issues behind them to focus on winning.

The details

Soto said the Mets have an "even better team" this year compared to 2025, when they underachieved and missed the playoffs. He's looking forward to playing with new additions like Bichette and Polanco, and trusts Bichette to provide good protection for him in the lineup. Soto is also switching from right field to left field, a position he's played before, to help the team. He acknowledged his defense needs improvement and is working on that aspect of his game.

  • Soto reported to Mets spring training on February 15, 2026.

The players

Juan Soto

A star outfielder for the Mets who signed a 15-year, $765 million contract with the team prior to the 2025 season.

Bo Bichette

A new addition to the Mets' roster, expected to bat third in the lineup behind Soto.

Jorge Polanco

Another new player joining the Mets this season.

Pete Alonso

A former Mets player who departed the team in the offseason, signing a 5-year, $155 million deal with the Orioles.

Brandon Nimmo

A former Mets player who departed the team in the offseason.

Got photos? Submit your photos here. ›

What they’re saying

“We had a great team last year. This year we have, I feel like, an even better team. It's a great feeling. Definitely I played with those guys last year, but it's a new year. We have forgotten about anything that's gone on last year. Anything that happens, we focus on this year.”

— Juan Soto (New York Post)

“We're going to have Bo — I trust him. He's a great hitter. He can hit home runs and he can hit for average, so I think he's great protection.”

— Juan Soto (New York Post)

“Mendoza asked me if I am comfortable [in left] and I told him I'm comfortable everywhere. Whatever is going to help the team, I'm open to do it.”

— Juan Soto (New York Post)

The takeaway

Soto's optimism about the Mets' new-look roster and his willingness to make position changes for the team's benefit shows his commitment to helping the club bounce back from a disappointing 2025 season. If the Mets can put any past drama behind them and focus on winning, they could be a force to be reckoned with in 2026.