- Today
- Holidays
- Birthdays
- Reminders
- Cities
- Atlanta
- Austin
- Baltimore
- Berwyn
- Beverly Hills
- Birmingham
- Boston
- Brooklyn
- Buffalo
- Charlotte
- Chicago
- Cincinnati
- Cleveland
- Columbus
- Dallas
- Denver
- Detroit
- Fort Worth
- Houston
- Indianapolis
- Knoxville
- Las Vegas
- Los Angeles
- Louisville
- Madison
- Memphis
- Miami
- Milwaukee
- Minneapolis
- Nashville
- New Orleans
- New York
- Omaha
- Orlando
- Philadelphia
- Phoenix
- Pittsburgh
- Portland
- Raleigh
- Richmond
- Rutherford
- Sacramento
- Salt Lake City
- San Antonio
- San Diego
- San Francisco
- San Jose
- Seattle
- Tampa
- Tucson
- Washington
Fort Myers Today
By the People, for the People
Roman Anthony makes Team USA WBC roster, Jarren Duran addresses trade rumors
The 21-year-old Red Sox prospect will be the youngest player on the Team USA roster, while Duran says he never pays attention to trade speculation.
Published on Feb. 17, 2026
Got story updates? Submit your updates here. ›
Roman Anthony, a 21-year-old Red Sox prospect, has been named to the Team USA roster for the upcoming World Baseball Classic. Anthony, who was drafted in the second round in 2022, will be the youngest player on the team. Meanwhile, Red Sox outfielder Jarren Duran says he never pays attention to trade rumors, even though his name has been mentioned in several offseason trade discussions.
Why it matters
Anthony's selection to the Team USA roster is a significant accomplishment for the young prospect, as he gets to represent his country on the international stage. Duran's comments about trade rumors highlight the uncertainty and speculation that often surrounds professional athletes, even as the Red Sox have maintained that they intend to keep all four of their starting outfielders.
The details
Anthony, who was in his first professional spring training with the Red Sox, received the call late Sunday night that he would be replacing the injured Corbin Carroll on the Team USA roster. Anthony, who grew up watching the World Baseball Classic, is excited for the opportunity to play alongside stars like Aaron Judge and Pete Crow-Armstrong. Duran, meanwhile, says he never pays attention to trade rumors, even though his name has been mentioned in several offseason trade discussions. The Red Sox have insisted they plan to keep all four of their starting outfielders, including Duran, Anthony, Ceddanne Rafaela, and Wilyer Abreu.
- Anthony received the call to join Team USA late Sunday night.
- Team USA has an exhibition game on March 3 in Arizona, and its first official game will be on March 6 against Brazil.
The players
Roman Anthony
A 21-year-old Red Sox prospect who was drafted in the second round in 2022 and has been named to the Team USA roster for the upcoming World Baseball Classic.
Jarren Duran
A Red Sox outfielder whose name has been mentioned in several offseason trade discussions, but the team has maintained they plan to keep all four of their starting outfielders.
Aaron Judge
A New York Yankees outfielder who will be playing for Team USA in the World Baseball Classic.
Pete Crow-Armstrong
A Chicago Cubs outfielder who will be playing for Team USA in the World Baseball Classic.
Alex Bregman
A third baseman who will be playing for Team USA in the World Baseball Classic and was previously a teammate of Anthony's.
What they’re saying
“Amazing. For me, watching the WBC growing up, watching all my favorite players representing the greatest country in the world, it's something you dream of as a kid.”
— Roman Anthony (nytimes.com)
“I never look at that stuff. My parents look at it enough for me. They text me and go, 'Did you get traded?' I'm like, 'Do you really think I'm not going to let you know if I get traded? C'mon.' I never give it any two cents. It's in God's hands and whatever happens, happens.”
— Jarren Duran (nytimes.com)
What’s next
Team USA has an exhibition game on March 3 in Arizona, and its first official game will be on March 6 against Brazil.
The takeaway
Anthony's selection to the Team USA roster is a significant milestone in his young career, showcasing his talent and potential. Meanwhile, Duran's comments about trade rumors highlight the uncertainty that often surrounds professional athletes, even as the Red Sox have maintained they plan to keep their talented outfield intact.


