Duke's Jon Scheyer Responds to Orange County DA Statement

Scheyer stands by his claim that a Duke staffer was attacked after the North Carolina game.

Published on Feb. 18, 2026

After Duke's blowout win over Syracuse, head coach Jon Scheyer addressed the recent statement from the Orange County District Attorney regarding an alleged incident involving a Duke staff member being attacked by North Carolina fans. Scheyer maintained that he stands by his original account of the events, stating that he knows what he saw and that a Duke staff member was hit in the face and trampled on after the game.

Why it matters

The dispute between Scheyer and the Orange County DA highlights the ongoing tensions and differing accounts surrounding the aftermath of the Duke-North Carolina rivalry game, where court-storming incidents have been a point of concern for player and staff safety.

The details

Following Duke's loss to North Carolina, Scheyer had claimed that a Duke staffer was punched as North Carolina fans stormed the court. However, Orange County District Attorney Jeff Nieman stated that there was no evidence to support those claims. In his postgame comments, Scheyer stood by his original statement, saying he knows what he saw and that the Duke staff member looked like he had been in a "complete brawl" after the game.

  • On February 4, 2026, Duke lost to North Carolina.
  • On February 13, 2026, Orange County DA Jeff Nieman disputed Scheyer's claims about a Duke staffer being attacked.
  • On February 16, 2026, Scheyer responded to the DA's statement after Duke's win over Syracuse.

The players

Jon Scheyer

The head coach of the Duke men's basketball team.

Jeff Nieman

The Orange County District Attorney who disputed Scheyer's claims about a Duke staffer being attacked.

Got photos? Submit your photos here. ›

What they’re saying

“I would like to focus on Syracuse, but I'll tell you, I know what I saw and I know what happened with our staff after the game, and that's the bottom line and I'm not going to go and circle back or get into, I don't know what was said or wasn't said or what people want to claim, but I know what happened.”

— Jon Scheyer, Head Coach, Duke Men's Basketball (WRAL News)

“Multiple intentional violent acts... were implied or stated [or] accused and that's something I take very seriously. An unprovoked act of aggressive violence is a serious thing, and if that happened, I wanted us to get evidence of it, and if we could prove it, take it to court.”

— Jeff Nieman, Orange County District Attorney (WRAL News)

What’s next

The judge in the case will decide on Tuesday whether or not to allow Walker Reed Quinn out on bail.

The takeaway

This case highlights growing concerns in the community about repeat offenders released on bail, raising questions about bail reform, public safety on SF streets, and if any special laws to govern autonomous vehicles in residential and commercial areas.