Bridgeport Soccer Stadium Denied State Funding

Connecticut governor's office says no state aid will be provided for proposed minor league stadium project.

Published on Feb. 13, 2026

The state of Connecticut has decided not to provide any financial support for a proposed minor league soccer stadium in Bridgeport, according to the governor's office. The project, led by entrepreneur Andre Swanston, had been seeking around $127 million in state funding, but the Lamont administration has now confirmed it will not be contributing to the stadium's construction.

Why it matters

The denial of state funding is a significant setback for the Bridgeport stadium project, which was seen as a catalyst for broader redevelopment plans including housing, a hotel, and other amenities. The decision highlights the challenges of securing public financing for large-scale sports venue projects, especially in the current economic climate.

The details

Swanston's CT United minor league soccer team was planning to play its inaugural 30-match season starting in March 2026 at the proposed Bridgeport stadium. However, the project has faced hurdles, including the expiration of a purchase option on the privately-owned land where the stadium was to be built. The state had previously set aside $16 million to help clean up the contaminated former industrial site, but efforts to secure additional funding were unsuccessful.

  • In fall 2023, Swanston first announced plans for the Bridgeport stadium with the aim of opening it in 2025.
  • Last summer, a purchase option period for the Kossuth Street land expired, casting doubt on the project.
  • On February 13, 2026, the governor's office confirmed it would not provide state funding for the stadium.

The players

Andre Swanston

The entrepreneur leading the effort to build a minor league soccer stadium in Bridgeport.

Ned Lamont

The governor of Connecticut, whose administration has decided not to provide state funding for the Bridgeport stadium project.

Joe Ganim

The mayor of Bridgeport, whose office expressed disappointment over the state's decision not to support the stadium project.

Tom Gaudett

The chief administrative officer for the Bridgeport mayor's office, who said the city had put a lot of time and energy into the stadium proposal.

Got photos? Submit your photos here. ›

What they’re saying

“We're obviously disappointed. We've put a lot of time and energy into this.”

— Tom Gaudett, Chief Administrative Officer, Bridgeport Mayor's Office (ctpost.com)

“It's a pretty big ask.”

— Ned Lamont, Governor of Connecticut (ctpost.com)

What’s next

The CT United minor league soccer team will now need to find alternative venues around Connecticut to host its inaugural season, as the proposed Bridgeport stadium project has lost its state funding support.

The takeaway

The denial of state funding for the Bridgeport soccer stadium highlights the challenges of securing public financing for large-scale sports venue projects, even those positioned as part of broader redevelopment plans. This decision casts uncertainty over the future of the CT United team and the broader revitalization efforts envisioned for Bridgeport's lower East Side.