Judge Blocks Trump Administration From Forcing States to Share SNAP Data

Ruling prevents federal government from requiring detailed information on SNAP recipients, including immigration status

Published on Feb. 16, 2026

A U.S. District Judge in San Francisco has issued a tentative ruling that blocks the Trump administration from forcing states to hand over detailed information on people who have applied for or received aid from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). The judge said the federal government cannot act on its previous demands for the data, which it claims is needed to stamp out fraud and waste in the program.

Why it matters

This ruling is a victory for states, many of which argued the data request was an attempt to share information with immigration enforcement authorities, which they say would be illegal. SNAP is a major part of the U.S. social safety net, helping about 42 million Americans buy groceries, and the administration's push for this data has been seen as part of a broader effort to cut off federal funding to states led by Democrats.

The details

Last year, 22 states sued the U.S. Department of Agriculture after it required states to provide detailed SNAP recipient data, including on immigration status. The judge blocked that initial request, but the department kept pushing for the information, threatening to stop paying state administrative costs if they didn't comply. The states argued this would allow the data to be shared with immigration authorities.

  • In 2025, the U.S. District Judge in San Francisco blocked the USDA's initial request for SNAP recipient data.
  • In December 2025, the USDA told states it would stop paying administrative costs if they didn't provide the requested SNAP data.
  • On February 15, 2026, the judge said she intends to issue an order preventing the federal government from acting on its previous demands for the SNAP data.

The players

Maxine Chesney

A U.S. District Judge in San Francisco who issued the tentative ruling blocking the Trump administration's demands for SNAP recipient data.

U.S. Department of Agriculture

The federal agency that had been pushing states to provide detailed information on SNAP applicants and recipients, including on their immigration status.

Donald Trump

The former U.S. president whose administration had sought the SNAP recipient data, claiming it was needed to prevent fraud and waste in the program.

Got photos? Submit your photos here. ›

What’s next

The judge indicated she will issue a formal order in the coming days or weeks to prevent the federal government from acting on its previous demands for SNAP recipient data from the states.

The takeaway

This ruling represents a significant victory for states in their battle against the Trump administration's efforts to obtain detailed information on SNAP recipients, which many saw as an attempt to share data with immigration authorities. The decision underscores the ongoing tensions between federal and state governments over social safety net programs and data sharing.