Judge Blocks Trump Administration From Forcing States to Share SNAP Recipient Data

Ruling prevents federal government from requiring states to provide detailed information on food aid program participants

Published on Feb. 14, 2026

A federal judge in San Francisco has blocked the Trump administration from forcing states to hand over detailed data on people who have applied for or received benefits from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). The judge said the administration cannot require states to provide information like the immigration status of SNAP recipients, which the government claims is needed to combat fraud.

Why it matters

This ruling is a victory for states, many of which have Democratic governors, who argued that sharing such personal data on SNAP recipients could allow it to be used for immigration enforcement purposes, which they say would be illegal. The battle over SNAP records is part of a broader effort by the Trump administration to cut off federal funding to states led by Democrats.

The details

Last year, U.S. District Judge Maxine Chesney blocked the U.S. Department of Agriculture from requiring states to provide the SNAP recipient data. The department kept pushing for the information, threatening to stop paying state administrative costs if they didn't comply. But Chesney said during a hearing on Friday that she intends to issue an order stating the federal government cannot act on its previous demands for the data.

  • In December 2025, the USDA told states it would stop paying state administrative costs for SNAP if they didn't provide the requested data.
  • In 2025, Judge Chesney initially blocked the USDA from requiring states to provide the SNAP recipient data.

The players

Judge Maxine Chesney

A U.S. District Judge in San Francisco who has blocked the Trump administration's efforts to force states to hand over detailed data on SNAP recipients.

U.S. Department of Agriculture

The federal agency that oversees the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and had been pushing states to provide detailed information on SNAP recipients, including their immigration status.

President Donald Trump

The former president whose administration has sought to obtain detailed data on SNAP recipients, claiming it is needed to combat fraud, despite concerns from states that it could be used for immigration enforcement.

Got photos? Submit your photos here. ›

What’s next

Judge Chesney is expected to issue a formal order in the coming days that will prevent the federal government from acting on its previous demands for SNAP recipient data from the states.

The takeaway

This ruling is a significant victory for states, particularly those with Democratic governors, who have resisted the Trump administration's efforts to obtain detailed personal information on SNAP recipients, fearing it could be used for immigration enforcement purposes. The battle over SNAP data is part of a broader political conflict between the federal government and Democratic-led states.