Padres Owner Says Team Won't Move When Sold

Padres chairman John Seidler confirms the team will remain in San Diego despite pending sale.

Published on Feb. 17, 2026

San Diego Padres chairman John Seidler stated that the team will not be moving from San Diego when the franchise is sold. Seidler met with the media on Tuesday and said a new buyer would be "nuts" to move the team, citing the Padres' strong attendance and being the only major professional sports team in the city. The Padres are currently in the process of being sold, with several high-profile groups expressing interest, including Golden State Warriors owner Joe Lacob. Seidler declined to comment on the reasons behind the sale, but said the process is ongoing and will reach a conclusion in the next few months.

Why it matters

The potential sale of the Padres has raised questions about the team's long-term future in San Diego. With clauses in the team's lease that could allow them to leave Petco Park, there were concerns a new owner may attempt to relocate the franchise. However, Seidler's comments should allay those fears and keep the Padres firmly rooted in their longtime home.

The details

Seidler stated that the Padres drew the second-highest attendance in MLB last season and have been a top-five attendance team for the past 5-6 years. He said San Diego is a "great place for baseball" and the "opportunity is in San Diego, not elsewhere." The Padres also signed general manager A.J. Preller to a multi-year contract extension on the same day as Seidler's comments.

  • On Tuesday morning, Seidler met with the media and made his comments about the Padres not moving.
  • The Padres signed GM A.J. Preller to a multi-year extension on the same day as Seidler's comments.

The players

John Seidler

The chairman of the San Diego Padres, who took over the role from his late brother Peter in 2023.

A.J. Preller

The general manager of the San Diego Padres, who was signed to a multi-year contract extension.

Joe Lacob

The owner of the Golden State Warriors, who has expressed interest in purchasing the Padres.

Dan Friedkin

The owner of Pursuit Sports, which owns Everton and AS Roma, and has also expressed interest in buying the Padres.

José E. Feliciano

The co-founder of Clearlake Capital, which is a backer of Chelsea, and has also shown interest in purchasing the Padres.

Got photos? Submit your photos here. ›

What they’re saying

“The Padres aren't moving from San Diego.”

— John Seidler, Padres Chairman (Forbes)

“If you look at it, a new buyer would be nuts to move the team out of San Diego. We had the second highest attendance in baseball last year. We've been in the top five for the last five or six seasons.”

— John Seidler, Padres Chairman (Forbes)

“San Diego is a great place for baseball. Baseball is the only major sport in San Diego right now. So, the opportunity is in San Diego. Not elsewhere.”

— John Seidler, Padres Chairman (Forbes)

“I feel great. Obviously, this is home. I love the organization. I love what we've built and what we've been building. I'm really happy to be able to do what we love to do. Now, it's all about trying to win that World Series and move forward.”

— A.J. Preller (Forbes)

What’s next

The judge in the case will decide on Tuesday whether or not to allow Walker Reed Quinn out on bail.

The takeaway

This case highlights growing concerns in the community about repeat offenders released on bail, raising questions about bail reform, public safety on SF streets, and if any special laws to govern autonomous vehicles in residential and commercial areas.