Blue Jays' Guerrero Jr. Confident in Team's Capabilities After World Series Loss

Star slugger says 2026 squad is 'very capable' of greatness despite heartbreaking defeat

Published on Feb. 17, 2026

Toronto Blue Jays star Vladimir Guerrero Jr. expressed confidence in his team's abilities heading into the 2026 season, despite their heartbreaking loss in Game 7 of the 2025 World Series. Guerrero, who signed a 14-year, $500 million contract extension with the team last April, said he feels the Blue Jays have the roster to achieve great things this year, noting key offseason additions like pitchers Dylan Cease and Cody Ponce, as well as third baseman Kazuma Okamoto. Manager John Schneider echoed Guerrero's sentiments, emphasizing that the team is focused on attacking 2026 rather than defending past accomplishments.

Why it matters

Guerrero's optimism and leadership will be crucial for the Blue Jays as they look to bounce back from their World Series defeat and make another deep playoff run. As the longest-tenured player and de facto team captain, Guerrero's confidence in the roster and his willingness to be more vocal will set the tone for the club heading into the new season.

The details

Guerrero was the last player to leave the Blue Jays' dugout after their heartbreaking 11th-inning loss to the Los Angeles Dodgers in Game 7 of the 2025 World Series. He said that moment allowed him to face reality and move on, expressing gratitude for the team's successful season. Now, Guerrero believes the 2026 Blue Jays squad is 'very capable' of greatness, citing the additions of pitchers Dylan Cease and Cody Ponce, as well as third baseman Kazuma Okamoto. Manager John Schneider agreed with Guerrero's assessment, emphasizing that the team is focused on attacking 2026 rather than defending past accomplishments.

  • Guerrero signed a 14-year, $500 million contract extension with the Blue Jays on April 9, 2025.
  • The Blue Jays lost Game 7 of the 2025 World Series to the Los Angeles Dodgers on November 1, 2025.

The players

Vladimir Guerrero Jr.

A five-time All-Star and the longest-tenured player on the Toronto Blue Jays, Guerrero Jr. is the team's star slugger and de facto captain.

John Schneider

The manager of the Toronto Blue Jays, who agrees with Guerrero's assessment of the team's capabilities heading into the 2026 season.

Bo Bichette

A former Blue Jays shortstop who left the team to sign a three-year, $126 million deal with the New York Mets, moving to third base.

Dylan Cease

A pitcher acquired by the Blue Jays in the offseason, who Guerrero believes will help the team's chances in 2026.

Cody Ponce

Another pitcher added to the Blue Jays' roster in the offseason, according to Guerrero.

Kazuma Okamoto

A third baseman who joined the Blue Jays in the offseason, as mentioned by Guerrero.

Got photos? Submit your photos here. ›

What they’re saying

“I think we're very capable. I think it's going to be more fun and I'm actually more happy than last year.”

— Vladimir Guerrero Jr., Blue Jays Star Player (castanet.net)

“The main message is we're not defending anything. We're not defending the AL East. We're not defending the American League. We're attacking 2026 like we did in 2025 or any year, really.”

— John Schneider, Blue Jays Manager (castanet.net)

“I don't see myself as a leader. I always put myself as a good teammate, and when you are a good teammate, then you become a good leader.”

— Vladimir Guerrero Jr., Blue Jays Star Player (castanet.net)

What’s next

The Blue Jays will begin their 2026 season on March 26 against the Baltimore Orioles.

The takeaway

Despite the heartbreak of their 2025 World Series loss, the Toronto Blue Jays appear poised for another deep playoff run in 2026 thanks to the confidence and leadership of star player Vladimir Guerrero Jr. and the team's focus on building on past success rather than defending it.